Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ABINGTON in the CLAY, or ABINGTON-PIGOTS, a parish in the hundred of ARMINGFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (W.N.W.) from Royston, containing 233 inhabitants. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £16.2.3½, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Dr. Pigott. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
ABINGTON PIGOTTS (or Abington-in-the-Clay) a parish, 5 miles north-west from Royston station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 14 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Michael is a small but ancient building of clunch and rubble, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch vestry on the north side and an embattled western tower, restored in 1924, containing 4 bells: in the church are memorials to John Piggott 1613 and 1617, Mary Foster Pigott 1816, and other members of that family from 1827 to 1884, and also to Henry and Elizabeth Lynn 1662-3: there are 200 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1653.
The soil is clayey and chalky; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 1,237 acres; the population in 1921 was 149.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In ABINGTON (Pigotts) the King holds ½ hide which lies in (the lands of) Litlington. Land for 1 plough; it is there; and it is assessed with that same manor.
In ABINGTON (Pigotts) Alwin Cock the beadle holds ½ virgate from the King. Land for ½ plough. it is there. Value 5s; before 1066, 10s. The same man held it before 1066; he could not grant or sell. It lay in (the lands of) Ickleton.
In ABINGTON (Pigotts) Hugh holds 2½ hides and ½ virgate from Bishop W(alkelin). Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 9 smallholders, each with 5 acres, with 2 ploughs. Meadow for 5 ploughs, and 2s too. Value £7; when acquired £3; before 1066 £8. This manor lay and lies in (the lands of) St. Peter's Church, Winchester. One Freeman held ½ virgate there under Archbishop Stigand; he could withdraw without his permission.
In ABINGTON (Pigotts) Earl Roger holds 1 virgate of land which lies in his own manor of Shingay. The value is and always was 13s 4d. Goda held this land under Earl Algar.
In ABINGTON (pigotts) 2 men-at-arms hold 1 hide and 1½ virgates from Hardwin. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 5 smallholders. Meadow for 4 oxen. Value 55s; when acquired 25s; before 1066, 60s. A man of King Edward's held 1 virgate of this land and found 1 cartage for the Sheriff. 2 other Freemen, Earl Algar's men, could grant their land and sell to who they would.
In ABINGTON (Pigotts) Picot holds ½ virgate. Land for 2 oxen. The value is and always was 2s. Ansgot, Archbishop Stigand's man, held this land; it lies and lay in (the lands of) (Guilden) Morden.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com