Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ARRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (S.S.E.) from Caxton, containing 194 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7.6.3., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
ARRINGTON is a parish, on the Ermine Street about 3 miles south from Old North Road station or the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London Midland and Scottish railway, 6 north-west from Royston and 10 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Nicholas is a small but ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, with some reputed Saxon remains, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower of brick with a low spire and containing one bell : the church was restored in 1894, at a cost of £300, and affords 150 sittings. The register of marriages and burials dates from the year 1538; baptisms, 1550.
The soil clayey; subsoil, chalk and gault. The chief crops are wheat oats and beans, and there is also a large amount of pasture. The area is 1,407 acres; the population in 1921 was 200.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In ARRINGTON Earl Roger holds 3½ hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2 hides; 3 ploughs there; a fourth possible. 6 villagers and 6 cottagers with 4 ploughs. 3 slaves; meadow for 2 ploughs; wood for fences. Total value £9; when acquired £10; before 1066 £11. Aelfric, King Edward's thane, held this manor. 3 Freemen were there; one of them was Earl Waltheof's man, the second the Abbot of Ely's man, and the third a man of Robert son of Wymarc; they could withdraw whither they would.
In ARRINGTON Fulkwy holds ½ hide from the Count. Land for ½ plough; it is there, with 2 villagers. Meadow for 4 oxen; woodland for fences. The value is and was 10s; before 1066, 20s. Leofeva held this land under Edeva; she could withdraw from her.
The Wimpole and Arrington War Memorial was dedicated in the early twenties to the memory of the men who died during the Great War. Three further names were added in 1947, dedicated to those who gave their lives during the Second World War.
The War Memorial is located on the northern corner of the original intersection between Ermine Street (now the A1198) and Cambridge Road (now the A603). The corner was the significant point on the road midway between the villages of Arrington and Wimpole.
The men and women on this war memorial are listed on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire website
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com