Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ASHLEY, a parish in the hundred of CHEVELEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3¼ miles (E. by S.) from Newmarket, containing, with the parish of Silverley, 351 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Silverley annexed, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
ASHLEY-cum-SILVERLEY is a village and parish, on the Suffolk border of the county, 4 miles, south-east from Newmarket and the same distance from Kennett station on the Cambridge and Bury St. Edmunds section of the London and North Eastern railway, in the hundred of Cheveley, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary, opened in November, 1845, is a cruciform building of flint with Bath stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave and transepts and a western turret containing one bell: the church was restored in 1907 at a cost of £700, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1746. The living is a rectory, with the nominal vicarage of Silverley annexed, joint net yearly value £350, including 273 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Harrowby, and held since 1904 by the Rev. William George Dodd M.A. of Quenns' College, Cambridge and rural dean of Cheveley.
The church of All Saints, SILVERLEY, about 1 mile distant, is in ruins, the tower only remaining. There was also a older church on the Dalham road, but few traces of which now exist.
The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,225 acres; the population in 1921 was 504.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In CHEVELEY Hundred.
Aubrey de Vere holds ASHLEY from the King. Evrard holds from him. It answered for 3½ hides before 1066; now for 2 hides. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; the villagers have 2 ploughs. Meadow, 1 acre; woodland, 12 pigs; pasture for the livestock. Total value 100s; when acquired 40s; before 1066 as much. Wulfin, King Edward's thane, held this manor.
Aubrey holds SILVERLEY himself. It answered for 6½ hides before 1066; now for 4 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2 hides; 4 ploughs there; 12 villagers with 2 smallholders have 4 ploughs. 8 slaves; meadow 1 acre; woodland, 20 pigs; pasture for the village livestock. Total value £16; when acquired £20; before 1066 as much. Wulfin, King Edward's thane, held this manor.
In CHEVELEY Hundred (these men) swore namely
(and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore).
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com