Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BABRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of CHILFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4½ miles (N.W.) from Linton, containing 238 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £6. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Here is a school for poor children, the master of which has a salary of £20 per annum, arising from a bequest, in 1723, by Judith Bennet, who also left £25 per annum for apprenticing boys, and £30 per annum towards the support of six poor widows.
BABRAHAM (anciently called Badburgham) is a parish and village, in a quiet rural spot on a branch of the river Granta at the foot of the Gog-Magog hills, 2 miles north from Pampisford station and 2¾ north-east from Whittlesford station both on the London North Eastern railway, 4½ north-west from Linton and 7 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Peter, situated in the park, about 100 yards west of the Hall, is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, large north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and has some Early English windows, and on the south side of the chancel arch is a trefoiled niche: the tower is a very early structure, perhaps pro-Norman, and has a rude arch: in the south aisle is a marble monument, with two figures, to Richard Bennet esq. ob. 1658, and Sir Thomas Bennet bart. ob. 1667, who were formerly owners of the parish; there are also several memorials to the Adeane family, bearing date 1802, 1847, 1870 and 1853: the church affords 250 sittings, 200 being free. The register dates from the year 1561.
Near the village, standing in a park of about 200 acres, is Babraham Hall, a red-brick mansion with stone facings in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated in the centre of the park, and surrounded by gardens and pleasure grounds which have been laid on with great taste: it was rebuilt by the late Henry John Adeane esq. (grandfather of the present owner) in the year 1832, and is the property and residence of Charles Robert Whorwood Adeane esq. C.B., J.P. (Lord-Lieut. of the county), who is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The soil is gravel and chalk; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,307 acres; the population in 1921 was 238.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In BABRAHAM Picot holds ½ hide and ½ virgate from the King. This land lies in (the lands of) Chesterford and is assessed there, at 30s, in Essex. Wulfin held this land under Earl Algar; he could not withdraw or sell.
In BABRAHAM Hardwin holds ½ virgate of land under the Abbot. The value is and was 40d. 2 Freemen held it; they could not withdraw.
In BABRAHAM Brian holds 2½ hides and 24 acres under Count Alan. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 17 villagers and 3 smallholders with 3 ploughs. 1 slave; meadow for 4 oxen. The value is and was 50s. 6 Freemen held this land under Edeva; they could not withdraw without her permission. They found 4 cartages and 2 escorts.
In the same village Ralph holds 1 hide less ½ virgate under the Count. Land for 1 plough; it is there. Meadow for 1 plough; 3 villagers; 3 smallholders; 1 mill at 5s 4d. The value is and was 20s. Alric the priest held this land under Edeva; he could not withdraw from her.
Eudo the Steward holds 1½ virgates of land in BABRAHAM; Pirot holds from him. Land for ½ plough. 2 villagers. The value is and was 2 ora. Aelfric held this land; he could grant and sell.
In BABRAHAM Durand holds ½ hide under Hardwin. Land for ½ plough; it is there, with 4 smallholders. The value is and was 18s 8d. 4 Fremen held this land; they found 4 cartages, and could not withdraw. This land is of the King's Holding.
In BABRAHAM Hardwin holds from the King ½ virgate of the Abbot's land.
In BABRAHAM Firmatus holds ½ virgate from Aubrey. Value 20d. Godwin held this land under Wulfin, Aubrey's predecessor; he could not withdraw.
Robert Fafiton holds 1 hide and 1 virgate in BABRAHAM from the King. Land for 2½ ploughs. In lordship 3 virgates; 1 plough there; another possible; 4 villagers have ½ plough. Value 21s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 26s 8d. Godiva held this land under Earl Algar; she found escort; however, she could withdraw and grant her land.
In BABRAHAM the countess holds 1½ virgates. Land for 4 oxen. The value is and was 4s. A man of Earl Gyrth's held it; he could not withdraw or sell.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com