Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BARRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Cambridge, containing 483 Inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of ELY, rated in the king’s books at £7. 14. 4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Master and Fellows pay £6 per annum towards the support of a school for poor children.
BARRINGTON is a parish and village, on the river Cam, 1 mile north from Foxton station on the Hitchin and Royston section of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 south-west from Cambridge and about the same distance north-east from Royston, in the hundred of Wetherley, district of Orwell, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Barston and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, with Perpendicular windows and timber work, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave aisles, north and south porches, a chapel contiguous to the north aisle and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells the chancel, which is Decorated retains a piscina and priest's doorway and has four windows with flowing tracery; the nave piers are Early English, dating from about 1180, but the clerestory is Perpendicular; in the tower is an aumbry with ancient oak doors : the north chapel, used as the burial place of the Bendyshe family, is of Perpendicular date: the nave is seated with open benches of the 15th century, handsomely carved, and the pulpit is enriched with Jacobean work: the font, a square basin of Norman date, stands on a Decorated base: the rood staircase is perfect : in the south aisle is a fine oak chest, bound with iron: the church plate bears the date 1569: the church was repaired during the period 1874-91 at a cost of £851 : the church tower was repaired in 1920 at the sole cost of C. M. Agnew esq. of Durrant's, Croxley Green, under the direction of Mr. Comper: there are 300 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1570; baptisms, 1572; burials, 1570.
There is a Congregational chapel first founded in 1667, the present building being erected in 1856 on a site given by John Coleman esq. and holding 500 persons.
On the village green is a memorial of Doulting stone, erected in 1920, in memory of the men of the perish who fell In the Greet War 1914-18.
The soil is clunch, clay and gault; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 2,275 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1921 was 459."
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In BARRINGTON Chatteris Church holds 2 hides. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1 hide; 1 plough there. 8 smallholders and 5 cottagers with 2 ploughs. 3 slaves; 1 mill, 25s 4d; meadow for 3 ploughs. The value is and was £3; before 1066, 40s. This land lies in the lordship of Chatteris Church.
In BARRINGTON Picot holds ½ virgate from the Count. Land for 2 oxen; they are there with 2 smallholders. Meadow for 2 oxen. The value is and was 2s; before 1066, 32d. A man of King Edward's held this land; he found 1 escort for the Sheriff, and could grant to whom he could.
In BARRINGTON Walter also holds 40 acres from Walter Giffard. Land for 6 oxen; they are there, with 2 cottagers. Meadow for 6 oxen. The value is and always was 10s. Aki, Earl Harold's man, held this land; he could grant and sell.
In BARRINGTON Robert holds 7 hides and 2½ virgates. Land for 11 ploughs. In lordship 3½ hides and 2 parts of 1 virgate; 1 plough there; a second possible. 20 villagers with 7 smallholders and 3 cottagers have 9 ploughs. 2 slaves; 1½ mills at 32s; meadow for 6 ploughs. Total value £12; when acquired £8; before 1066 £16. There were 15 Freemen in this land who held 4 hides and 1½ virgates from King Edward and who found 2½ cartages and 4 escorts for the Sheriff; 4 others, Earl Algar's men, held 2 hides and 1½ virgates; 3 others, Asgar the Constable's men, held 1 hide. All these men could grant and sell their land. Of this land also Edric Snipe held 3 virgates under King Edward and could sell. Edric also held ½ virgate which in 1066 lay in (the lands of) the Church of Chatteris. Robert Gernon annexed this (land) in the Abbess's despite, as the men of the Hundred testify.
In BARRINGTON Ralph holds 20 acres from Picot. Land for 3 oxen; they are there, with 1 Freeman; 1 smallholder. Meadow for 3 oxen. The value is and always was 5s. Edsi held this land under Robert son of Wynarc and could grant.
In THRIPLOW Hundred (these men) swore, namely
and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of the Hundred swore.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com