Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BARTLOW, a parish in the hundred of CHILF0RD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 13/4 mile (E. S. E.) from Linton, containing 94 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £19.16.8., and in the patronage of W. Hall, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a circular tower, apparently of Norman architecture.
Domesday Book Entry
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages.
The church of St. Mary, ancient edifice of flint and rubble in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, was partially restored in 1879; it consists of chancel, nave, north porch and circular embattled western tower containing 3 bells : on the south wall of the nave is a fresco of Christopher, the Roman soldier, carrying the infant Saviour over a ford: in 1927 a fresco of 1450 A.D. was discovered on the south wall of the nave, the subject being St. Michael weighing the good and evil deeds of a human soul in a pair of scales : the tower, which is much older than the body of the church, has walls feet in thickness: the chancel retains a piscina and there is another in the south wall of the nave. The church affords 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1573.
Near the village are four (formerly six) very remarkable artificial hills, excavated in the years 1832, 1835 and 1838, and described in vols. 25, 26 and 28 of the "Archaeologia," by Rokewood Gage esq. who distinctly proves them to be Roman works; many curious and valuable sepulchral relics, discovered in these hills and deposited at Easton Lodge, near Dunmow, the seat of the Countess of Warwick, were unfortunately lost in the fire by which that mansion was destroyed; these hills are actually in the parish of Ashdon, but are called Bartlow Hills from their being close to that village. Bartlow House is the seat of Charles Gerald Brocklebank esq. M.C. who is the principal landowner. The soil is chalk and gravel; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats beans and barley. The parish contains 377 acres; the population in 1921 was 94 in the civil parish and 216 the ecclesiastical, which extends into Essex.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com