Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BARTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Cambridge, containing 273 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8.11.3., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
BARTON is a parish on the Bourn brook, 1¼ miles north-east from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, and about 3½ west-south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil and subsoil are of a clayey nature. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and roots. The area is 1,834 acres; the population in 1921 was 243.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages.
Domesday Book Entry
In WETHERLEY Hundred
In BARTON Robert holds 1 hide from the Count. Land for 1 plough; it is there, with 2 smallholders; 1 slave. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 40s; before 1066 50s. Judicael, King Edward's Huntsman, held this land; he could grant to whom he would.
In BARTON Humphrey holds 3½ hides from Guy. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 3 villagers with 13 smallholders have 3 ploughs. 1 slave; meadow for 4 ploughs. In total, value £6; when acquired £10; before 1066 as much. There are 3 French men-at-arms on this land. 24 Freemen held this land. One of them held ½ hide under Edeva the Fair, and could sell. All the others were Freemen of Kind Edward's; they held 3 hides, and could grant and sell; they found 6 cartages and 17 escorts for the Sheriff.
In BARTON William holds 2½ hides himself in the same manner. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 4; 1 villager with 8 smallholders have 2 ploughs. 2 slaves; meadow for 2 ploughs. Value £8; when acquired £10; before 1066 as much. 4 Freemen, Earl Watheof's men held this land. 2 of them held 1 hide and 2½ virgates but could not withdraw without his permission. The other 2 could grant and sell their land.
In WTHERLEY Hundred (these men) swore
and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com