Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets


Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

BOTTISHAM, a parish in the hundred, of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Newmarket, containing 1123 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 16, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains the tomb of Elias de Beckingham, justiciary of England in the reign of Edward I. A considerable part of the village was destroyed by fire, in 1712. Sir Roger Jenyns, Knt. founded a school in 1730, and endowed it with 20 per annum, for the gratuitous instruction and clothing of sixteen boys and four girls: the master and scholars are appointed by the proprietor of Bottisham Hall. A moiety of the income of an endowed almshouse at Eastham, founded by Giles Breame, Esq., in 1621, is paid to the poor of this place. Henry I. founded a small priory of Augustine canons at Anglesey, in this parish, and dedicated it to the Blessed Virgin and St. Nicholas, the revenue of which, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was 149.18.6. the site is now occupied by a farm-house, in the walls of which a portion of tho conventual buildings is visible. The petty sessions ore held here. At Bottisham Lode there is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Bottisham page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages

Domesday Book Entry

In STAINE Hundred.

Walter Giffard holds BOTTISHAM. It answers for 10 hides. Land for 20 ploughs. In lordship 5 hides; 6 ploughs here. 25 villagers with 12 smallholders have 14 ploughs. 14 slaves; 4 mills at 14s; meadow for 6 ploughs; from the marsh 3 ploughshares and 400 eels. The total value is and was £20; before 1066 £16. Earl Harold held 8 hides of this manor; Alric the monk had 2 hides which he could not grant or sell without the permission of the Abbot of Ramsey, whose man he was.

In STAINE Hundred (these) men swore, namely





Richard, the reeve of this Hundred



Pinna of BALSHAM

and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore.

Bottisham Church Interior

BOTTISHAM, anciently "Bodekysham" an "Bottlesham," is a large village and parish on the road from Newmarket to Cambridge, 3 miles north-west from Six Mile Bottom station on the London and North Eastern railway and 2 miles south from Bottisham and Lode station on the Cambridge and Fordham section of the same line, 6 west from Newmarket and 7 east from Cambridge; it is the head of a petty sessions division and in the hundred of Staine, Newmarket union and county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of the Holy Trinity is a beautiful edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and western Galilee porch, and an embattle western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells: the chancel retains an Early English piscina an sedilia, and there is also an Early Decorated chancel arch, with a Perpendicular stone screen: on the south wall of the chancel is a marble tablet to the Rev William Pugh, vicar from 1812, dated 1825: the stained east window and the reredos are memorials to Col. Jenyns, one of the "Six Hundred" at Balaclava (October 25th, 1854), who died in 1873: at the east end of the north aisle is an oak screen, apparently of the Decorated period, which encloses two monuments one to Margaret, daughter of William Coningesbye of King's Lynn, and another, with effigies in marble and cherubs supporting a canopy, to Leonettus and Dorothea, children of William and Elizabeth Allington, ob. 1638: there is also an altar tomb of Purbeck marble, with the matrix of a brass effigy and canopy and panelled sides relieved by shields; the inscription on the margin, now lost, commemorated Elyas de Beckingham, appointed a justiciar of the Common Pleas, 15 Edward I. (1285); he retired from the bench, or died, in 1305; in 1289, when all the judges were apprehended by the king on charges of bribery and corruption, Beckingham and Metingham alone were honourably acquitted: in the same aisle is a marble tablet to Hester Paulina Lushington, d. 1795: the south aisle has an arcading along its whole length, inclosing a series of stone coffin slabs a screen similar to that on the north side incloses a large tomb of white marble to Sir Roger Jenyns, d. 1740, and Dame Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1728, with their effigies in bed attire; and near this tomb, against the south wall, is a plain marble tabblet to Soame Jenyns esq. M.P. and controversialist, and son of Sir Roger Jenyns, who died 18th Dec. 1787: on the south side is a beautiful piscina and a sedile: there are also slabs inscribed to Francis Hessel, d. 1659, and John Lack, d. 1742: the church was restored and warming apparatus fixed during the period 1875-91, and repairs to the fabric were made in 1928 at a cost of 500; there are about 350 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1561; marriages, 1563 ; burials, 1659.

There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1800, and having sittings for 230 persons.

A cemetery of one acre has been formed at a cost of 243; it is under the control of the Parish Council.

In 1712 a destructive fire consumed 20 houses in the village, besides causing other damage, and an incendiary fire which occured on February 13th, 1846, destroyed the produce of two large farms, as well as fifteen cottages depriving twenty-four poor families of their homes. About 200 yearly, derived from several charities, is distributed in money and kind and for educational purposes: in 1878 the so-called "Poor's Fen", of nearly 200 acres, was for the first time brought under a trust and scheme formed by the Charity Commissioners produces a profit of nearly 130 yearly for the benefit of the poor, which is applied chiefly in the distribution of fuel. The Charity School has been converted into a reading room. The kennels of the Cambridgeshire Harriers are in this parish; Basil Briscoe esq. and Harry Leader esq.: are joint masters : the pack comprises fifteen couples of 18 to 20-inch terriers; hunting days, Wednesdays and Saturdays; Cambridge and Newmarket are convenient centres; Bottisham is the nearest station to the kennels. Bottisham Park contains about 200 acres and is well wooded: the mansion, a structure of brick, erected in 1797 when the old hall was pulled down, is the property and residence of Roger William Bulwer Jenyns esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor. Trinity, St. Peter's and Downing Colleges, Cambridge, and R. W. B. Jenyns esq. J.P. are the principal landowners.

The soil is loamy subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area of the parish is 2,854; acres the population in 1921 was 624.

Lode, Longmeadow and Fen were by Local Government Board Order, separated from Bottiaham in 1894, and are to be found under the heading of Lode.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster

© Copyright - 2000- -