Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BOXWORTH, a parish in the hundred of PAPWORTH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Caxton, containing 317 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £18.12.3½., and in the patronage of George Thornhill, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains a monumental bust of Dr. Saunderson, F.R.S., the blind professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge; he died and was buried here, in 1759.
BOXWORTH is a parish about 4 miles south-west from Swavesey station on the St. Ives and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 north-west from Cambridge and 9½ south-east from Huntingdon, in the hundred of Papworth, petty sessions division of Cambridge, union of St. Ives, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St Peter is an ancient edifice of flint and stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, north and south porches and a lofty embattled tower containing a clock and one bell: in the church is a monument to Nicholas Saunderson LL.D., F.R.S. the celebrated blind professor of mathematics in the University of Cambridge, who died 19th April, 1759: the church was thoroughly restored in 1868-9, and affords 150 sittings. The register from the year 1558.
The soil is of a stiff clayey nature, with a blue gault subsoil, beneath which in many places is found a hard chalky rock. The area is 2,602 acres; the population in 1921 was 243.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In BOXWORTH the Abbot also holds ½ hide. Land for ½ plough. Meadow for ½ plough. The value is and always was 3s. This land lies and always lay in the Church's lordship.
In BOXWORTH 2 Freemen hold 1 hide under the Count. Land for 1 plough; it is there. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 18s 8d; before 1066, 26s. They held it themselves under Edeva; they could sell.
In BOXWORTH Picot holds 3½ hides from Robert. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 2; 3 villagers with 3 cottagers have 1 plough. 2 slaves; meadow for 3 ploughs. Value 30s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 60s. Leofsi, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land and could sell.
In BOXWORTH 6 Freemen hold 1 hide and 1 virgate from Gilbert. Land for 1 plough; it is there. Meadow for 1 plough. Value 10s; when acquired 16s; before 1066, 20s. They held it themselves from Ulf and could sell; their jurisdiction lay in (Fen) Stanton.
In BOXWORTH Payne holds 4½ hides from Hardwin. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 8 villagers with 6 smallholders and 3 cottagers have 3 ploughs. 2 slaves; meadow for 4 ploughs. The value is and always was 60s. a thane of King Edward's held 3½ hides of this land and could sell to whom he would. 7 Freemen of King Edward's had 1 hide; they found 3 cartages and 3 escorts for the Sheriff, and could sell their land.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com