Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BRINKLEY, a parish in the hundred of RADFIELD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Newmarket, containing 317 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £13.6.8., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This parish is entitled to the fifth part of an estate, producing in the whole £100 per annum, given by Mrs. Elizabeth March, in 1729, for the instruction of children.
Domesday Book Entry
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
BRINKLEY is a village and parish, 3 miles south from Dullingham station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway and south-south-west from Newmarket, in the hundred of Radfield, Newmarket union and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of the Blessed Virgin, restored in 1874 by the rector and parishioners at an expense of about £1,000, is a building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells; the chancel and nave are Decorated and the tower Perpendicular: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1685."
The soil is boulder clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and oats. The area is 1,303 acres; the population in 1921 was 242. By an Order which came into operation March 25. 1886, a detached part of this parish was amalgamated with Carlton, in Linton union.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com