Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
BURROUGH-GREEN, a parish in the hundred of RADFIELD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (S.) from Newmarket, containing 381 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £18.10., and in the patronage of the Duke of Rutland. The church is dedicated to St. Augustine. A charity school is endowed with about £30 per annum, chiefly arising from a benefaction from Samuel Knight, D.D., in 1734. Edith; consort of Edward the Confessor, had a palace here.
Domesday Book Entry
The Count (Alan) holds BURROUGH (Green) himself. 5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 3 hides; 4 ploughs there. 7 villagers with 10 smallholders have 4 ploughs. 2 slaves; meadow, 4 acres; a park for woodland beasts. In total, value £9; when acquired £8; before 1066 £10. Edeva held this land.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
BURROUGH GREEN (or Borough Green) is village and parish 2½ miles south-east from Dullingham station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 6 south from Newmarket, in the hundred of Radfield, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Augustine is an ancient structure of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, restored in 1710: in the north wall of the chancel are three richly ornamented arched recesses, one of which encloses the recumbent effigy of a knight armour with crossed legs; the next has also a male effigy with a female figure resting beside it; and the third encloses the effigy of a Norman knight, with another of a squire or attendant at the foot, unarmoured; another figure, female, has been removed to the west end of the church; the whole are mutilated and without dates or names, but are presumed to be the De Burgh family: the font is dated 1672, but the most ancient portions of the church probably date from the 13th century: the building was restored and the roof renewed in i878-90 at a coat of £725, and the organ restored in 1903 at a cost of £140: the church affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1571.
The Reading Room here was built in 1887 by the late Mrs Porcher, as a memorial to her husband, Charles Porcher esq.; it is in general use during the winter months, and will hold about 130 persons. The Old Hall (or Manor House), which stands near the church, is now a farmhouse. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area of the parish is 2,272 acres; the population in 1921 was 334.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com