Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
CALDECOTE, a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Caxton, containing 111 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Toft, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £3.11.0½. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
Domesday Book Entry
In CALDECOTE Aelmer holds ½ hide from the Count. Land for 1½ ploughs. In lordship 1 plough. 3 smallholders with ½ plough. 2 slaves; meadow for 1½ ploughs; wood for houses and fences. The value is and always was 30s.
In CALDECOTE 2 men-at-arms hold 3 virgates and 10 acres from Hardwin. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 6 smallholders. Meadow for 2 ploughs. The value is and was 52s. 2 Freemen held this land under Edeva and could withdraw.
David of Argenton holds 1 virgate and 20 acres in CALDECOTE. Land for 1 plough; it is there, with 3 smallholders; 1 cottager. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 20s; before 1066, 30s. Sigar, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land and could withdraw.
CALDECOT, or Caldecote, is a parish, 4 miles north east from the Old North Road station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, about 8 west from Cambridge and about 12 north from Royston, in the hundred of Longstow, petty sessional division and union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Michael, standing on a picturesque and woody bank, is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel retains a small crocketed niche, and in the south porch is a benatura: there are carved stalls in the chancel and a rood screen with traces of colour; the church was thoroughly repaired in 1860 and 1861, and affords 100 sittings; during the year 1899 the church was restored and several gifts made to it, including a small organ. The register dates from the year 1728.
The impropriate tithes of this parish, anciently given by Picot de Cambridge to the monks of Barnwell, are now vested in the Master and Fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge. The land is nearly all freehold. The principal landowners are Clare and Christ's Colleges, Cambridge. The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 948 acres; the population 1921 was 161.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com