Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
CARLTON, a parish in the hundred of RADFIELD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (s.) from Newmarket, containing, with the chapelry of Willingham, 363 inha-bitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £9, and in the patronage of Lord Dacre. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Sir Thomas Elliot, author of a Latin diction-ary, and other works, resided here, and dying in 1546, was buried in the church.
CARLTON-CUM-WILLINGHAM is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom station and 4½ south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 south of Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the hundred of Radfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600.
The soil is various; subsoil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres; the population in 1921 was 254. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, in the Newmarket union, was amalgamated with this parish.
Willingham Green is a place in the parish.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In RADFIELD Hundred.
In CARLTON Wymarc holds 1 virgate of land from the Count. A Freeman held it; he found cartage.
William of Warenne holds 2 hides and 7½ acres in CARLTON. Walter of Grand-court holds from him. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 3; 1½ villagers with 3 smallholders have 1 plough. 3 slaves; meadow for 2 oxen; woodland, 12 pigs. The value is and always was £4. Toki, King Edward's thane, held this manor.
In the same village the Abbot of Cluny holds 4 hides and 2 acres from William. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 3; 4 villagers with 14 smallholders have 3 ploughs. 3 slaves; woodland, 100 pigs. The value is and always was £8. Earl Algar held this land.
In CARLTON 2 men-at-armshold ½ hide less 3 acres from Hardwin. Land for ½ plough; it is there. The value is and always was 10s. 2 Freemen hold 38 acres of this land under Harold and found 1 escort for the Sheriff; a third held acres from Earl Algar and found cartage, but he could not withdraw.
In CARLTON the Countess holds 3 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 1½ hides; 2 ploughs there; 12 villagers with 2 smallholders have 6 ploughs. 2 slaves; meadow, 2 acres; woodland, 12 pigs. The value is and always was £6. Earl Harold held this land. 3 Freemen hold 4½ acres of the same land from the Countess; they held it themselves before 1066 and found escort. A man of Earl Algar's held 2 acres and found escort.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com