Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Cherry Hinton

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

HINTON (CHERRY), a parish in the hundred of FLENDISH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2¾ miles (E. by S.) from Cambridge, containing 474 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 9.14.7., and in the patronage of the Master and Follows of Peter House, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, stands near the Gogmagog hills: the valley beneath was formerly noted for an abundance of cherry trees growing in it; it is now the principal spot in the county where saffron is cultivated. Various fossil teeth, and vertebra of fish, are found in the chalk pits here.

Domesday Book Entry

****************************
There are no entries for Cherry Hinton the Domesday Book.

****************************

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page

CHERRY HINTON is a parish containing a few extensive farms: the village is in a pleasant position 2 miles south-east from Cambridge, in the Eastern division of the county, Flendish hundred, Bottisham petty sessional division, union of Chesterton, Cambridge county court district, rural deanery of Cambridge and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The parish is now divided ecclesiastically into two, viz. St. Andrew and St. John, the latter adjoining and forming a suburb of the city of Cambridge.

The church of St. Andrew is a fine and highly interesting structure of stone and clunch, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel, of rich and beautiful Early English work, is lighted by eight lancet windows on each side, arranged in couplets: a cinquefoiled arcading, on banded shafts, extends along the north and south walls, and there is a double piscina and three graduated sedilia of very fine workmanship: a carved oak screen of Perpendicular date separates the chancel from the nave, which has Early English arcades: there is a plain, circular font on a pedestal, and several monuments to the Serocold family: the nave and aisles were thoroughly restored in 1880, under the superintendence of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. architect, and the chancel was restored six years later under the direction of Mr. J. T. Micklethwaite F.S.A. architect, the total cost amounting to 5,050: there are 275 sittings. The register dates from 1538, and is in good preservation.The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from 106 acres of glebe 170, with residence, in the gift of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Arthur Hughes M.A. of that college. The vicarage was built in 1818 by the Rev. Bewick Bridge M.A. then vicar, and considerably enlarged about 1866. The Baptist chapel, built in 1883, has 300 sittings.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Cherry Hinton page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire. Cherry Hinton, Saint John the Evangelist was an ecclesiastical parish formed from Cherryhinton and Trumpington in 1897. The civil parish was absorbed into the borough of Cambridge, 1912, and 1934.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com