Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Chettisham

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

CHETTISHAM, a chapelry in the parish of ST. MARY, city and Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, miles (N. by w.) from Ely, containing 91 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael..

Domesday Book Entry

****************************
There are no entries for Chettisham in the Domesday Book.

****************************

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Chettisham page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

CHETTISHAM is a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Ely St. Mary, situate about two miles north west from Ely. Its acreage is included with Ely; and its population is about fifty only. The township contains only six or eight houses. The Chapel is a plain building; the living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Ely. The tithes are included with those of Ely, and the value of the living, as returned, 70 per annum."

[Extract from 'A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements (1868)]

The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch amd a western turret containing one bell; the church was restored in 1889, and a new roof added at a cost of 799: there are 79 sittings, nearly all being free. The register of baptisms dates from 1701 and marriages 1754; burials are registered at St. Mary's in Ely.

[Extract from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com