Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets


Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

CHIPPENHAM, a parish in the hundred of STAPLOE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 41/2 miles (N.N.E.) from Newmarket, containing 607 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at 11. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Trustees of J. Tharp, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt by means of a grant of indulgences, shortly after the destruction of the ancient edifice by fire, in the fifteenth century. A charity school was founded in 1714, by the Earl of Orford, with an endowment of 20 per annum, for teaching all the poor children of the parish. William de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, gave this manor to the society of Knights Hospitallers, whereupon a subordinate establishment was fixed here. Charles I., during the civil war, enjoyed the diversion of bowling at Chippenham Park, the seat of Sir William Russel; and George I. was entertained here by Admiral Russel, Octobor 4th, 1717. About the middle of the seventeenth century the mansion and estate were possessed by Sir Francis Russel, Bart, whose daughter married the fourth son of the Protector Cromwell. Sir Edward Russel, created Earl of Orford, expended a considerable sum in improving the park and embellishing the mansion, which latter was taken down and the materials sold.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Chippenham page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

CHIPPENHAM is a parish and village, 5 miles north-east from Newmarket station, in the hundred of Staploe, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district and in the rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Margaret is a building of stone in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, three of which were recast and rehung in 1898: the treble bell was given by W. W. De la Rue esq. J.P.: the chancel was restored in 1885-6, at a cost of 1,200, and a stained east window inserted in memory of Joseph Sidney Tharp, who died March 4th, 1875, and Laura, his second wife (daughter of Sir John Trollope, and sister of John, 1st Baron Kesteven), who died 19 Jan. 1877: there are three other memorial windows to various members of the same family: near the porch is a marble tomb, erected over the grave of the Rt. Hon. Sir Thomas Erskine May K.C.B., P.C., D.C.L. Baron Farnborough, clerk of the House of Commons 1871-86, d. May 17th, 1886, and a memorial window was erected by his widow in 1895: this church is rich in wall paintings, including one of the 15th century, discovered about 1896 imbedded eight inches in the east wall of the north aisle and representing two angels censing: in 1714 Lord Oxford presented a silver chalice and paten to the church, which is still in use: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1595.

Chippenham Hall, standing in a park of about 400 acres, is the seat of Mrs. William Montague Tharp, who is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The Manor House is the residence of Lt.-Col. Gerard Tharp.

The soil is mixed; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 4,301 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1921 was 481.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

CHIPPENHAM answered for 10 hides before 1066. But a Sheriff put them at 5 hides, through King Edward's concession, becuase its revenue oppressed him; it now answers for 5 hides. Land for 17 ploughs. Geoffrey holds from the King. In lordship 3 hides; 3 ploughs there. 19 villagers with 13 smallholders have 14 ploughs. 6 slaves; meadow for 3 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock; from the fish pond 1,500 eels. Total value £20; when acquired £16; before 1066 £12. Ordgar, King edward's Sheriff, who was later Asgar the Constable's man, held this manor. 5 hides of this land were in King Edward's revenue; 2 Freemen had 2 hides from the King and could grant their land to whom they would; however, each found 8d or 1 horse in the King's service, and for their fines they did justice in Fordham. Ordgar the Sheriff had 3 hides of this land himself and could grant to whom he would. Ordgar placed this alnd in pledge for 7 marks and 2 ounces of gold, as Geoffrey's men state; but the men of the Hundred have seen thereon neither any writ nor commissioner of King Edward, nor do they offer witness.

In STAPLOE Hundrd these men swore

NICHOLAS of KENNETT Robert the Englishman of FORDHAM
Hugh of EXNING Alan of BURWELL
Warin of SOHAM elfric of SNAILWELL

(and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore).

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster

© Copyright - 2000- -