Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Coates and Eastrea

Coates and Eastrea is an ecclesiastical parish formed from Whittlesey in 1850.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Whittlesey page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

COATES and EASTREA, the former 2 miles east, the latter 2 miles east from Whittlesey station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North Eastern railway, were formed into an ecclesiastical parish July 9, 1850, from the civil parish of Whittlesey, under the provisions of the "Whittlesey Improvement Act, 1849" (12 and 13 Vict. c. 32, sec. 9); they are in the North Witchford hundred, Whittlesey union and petty sessional divi-sion, Peterborough county court district, rural deanery of March, archdeaconry of Wishech and diocese of Ely.

The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840, is a structure of brick, consisting of nave, aisles and a tower on the north side, with spire, and containing a clock and one bell: in 1902 the tower was partially restored: in 1874 and 1890 the church was thoroughly restored, reseated with open benches and aisles added, at a total cost of 1,050, and now affords 510 sittings. The register dates from the year 1850.

There are Wesleyan chapels at Coates and Eastrea and a Baptist chapel at Turves."

The Public Hall, erected in 1890 by public subscription, at a cost, including fittings, of 370, is of brick with an open timber roof, and measures, within, 40 by 23 feet; the management is vested in the trustees and a local committee. The soil is chiefly a black loam ; subsoil, clay or gravel. The chief crops are wheat and potatoes. The area is 5,300 acres; the population in 1921 was 1,402

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

War Memorial

There are two war memorials and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages. One is for Eastrea dn the other for Coates.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com