Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
COLDHAM is an ecclesiastical parish, formed July 10th, 1874, from Fridaybridqe in the civil parish of Elm; it is in the petty sessional division, union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely, and is 7 miles south from Wisbech, 3 north-west from Fridaybridge and 4 north from March, with a station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North Eastern railway. The parish includes Pen Tree Hill, Coldham, Stagsholt and Graysmoor and extends within 2 miles of March.
The church of St. Ethelreda· a building of stone in the Early English style, was completed in 1876, at a cost of £2,700, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a small western turret containing 2 bells: the organ cost £250: the internal fittings are of oak: there is a small stained window on the south side of the chancel, and another on the north side in memory of Francis William Gordon Woodgate; a memorial window was erected at the east end in June, 1887, at a cost of £120, to Samuel Jones Loyd, Baron Overstone, a benefactor to this church, who died Nov. 17th, 1883, and another in memory of William Cutlack Little by his widow : there arc 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1876.
The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes and brown and white mustard and some land in pasture. The population in 1921 was 425.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com