Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Croxton

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

CROXTON, a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4½ miles (W.N.W.) from Caxton, containing 225 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 14. 8. 6½., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir G. W. Leeds, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. James. A school has been recently built by Sir G. W. Leeds, Bart, for children of Croxton, Eltisley, and the adjoining parishes, which is endowed with 6 per annum bequeathed by John Leeds, Esq., in 1705.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Croxton page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

Genweb Cambridgeshire contains photographs and information about Croxton.

CROXTON is a parish on the Huntingdonshire border, about 4 miles east from St. Neots station on the main line of the London and North Eastern railway and 13 west from Cambridge. in the hundred of Longstowe petty sessional division of Caxton, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of St. Neots, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: there are several monuments to the Leeds and Newton families: affixed to the north door is wooden carving, in very bold relief, of the Virgin and child: the north porch was erected in 1907 by the Misses C. and F. Cochrane as a memorial to their father: numerous carved stones, found when the buttress was removed, were built into the porch: in 1921 a handsome rood screen was erected in memory of Capt. Aubrey Charles Hill: the church affords 200 sittings, of which half are free. In the churchyard is a cross, erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1535.

Croxton Park contains a large mansion of red brick, situated near the church, in well-wooded grounds of about 400 acres, with a small lake, and is the seat of Sir (George) Douglas Cochrane Newton K.D.E., M.P., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is stiff clay ; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 1,904 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1921 was 234.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

In LONGSTOW Hundred.

In CROXTON Aethelwulf holds 1 hide from Hardwin. Land for 1½ ploughs; they are there. In lordship 1 plough; 5 smallholders with 2 cottagers have ½ plough. Meadow for 1½ ploughs; pasture for livestock. Value 20s; when acquired 13s; before 1066, 40s. 2 Freemen, Kind Edward's men, held this land; they found 2 cartages for the Sheriff.

In CROXTON David holds 6 hides. Land for 9½ ploughs. In lordship 3 hides; 2 ploughs there; a third possible. 7 villagers with 7 smallholders and 2 cottagers have 3 ploughs; a further 3½ possible. Meadow for 9½ ploughs; pasture for the livestock; from grazing 16d; from the marsh 500 eels a year. Which (land) Eustace of Huntingdon appropriated in David's despite, as the whole Hundred testifies. The total value is and was £8; before 1066 £10. 3 men of Earl Algar's and a fourth, Earl Waltheof's man, held this manor and could sell.

In LONGSTOW Hundred (these men) swore

William, PICOT the SHERIFF's man Godric of CROXTON
Tihel, the ABBOT of ELY's reeve Aelfric, EUDO (SON of HUBERT)'s reeve
Warin the priest Wulfwy of HATLEY (ST. GEORGE)
GUY, the ABBOT of RAMSEY's man Young Aelmer

and all other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this hundred swore.

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page

 

 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com