Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
CROYDON, a parish in the hundred of ARMINGFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Caxton, containing, with Clapton, 368 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Clapton consolidated, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7.9.7., and in the patronage of the Rev. T. Gape. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
Croydon-cum-Clopton is a parish, and is generally know by the name of Croydon; it is 7 miles north-west from Royston and 4 south from Old North Road station, in the hundred of Armingford, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of All Saints is described in the decree of the Bishop of Ely for the union of the two parishes, A.D. 1561, as "ampla et ornata," but seems to have been reduced; it is a structure of brick and stone, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and transepts; the chancel was repaired during the late incumbency, and new windows inserted; that at the east end is stained, representing The Institution of the Lordís Supper, in memory of the wife of the late rector; and one on either side of the chancel is likewise stained: subjects - The Adoration of the Magi, to Rev. R.S.B. Sandilands, late rector, and The Anointing of Jesusí feet by Mary, to his sister. The register dates from the year 1672.
The soil is clayey, and the subsoil chalk and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,711 acres; rateable value, £2,577; the population in 1881 was 478.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1883]
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
Domesday Book Entry
In ARMINGFORD Hundred.
In CROYDON Earl Roger holds 3 virgates of land. Land for 6 oxen; pasture for as many oxen. The value is and always was 10s. Aelmer, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land; he could sell.
In CROYDON Aelmer holds 2½ virgates under the Count. Land for 6 oxen; they are there, with 1 smallholder; 1 cottager. The value is and always was 10s; before 1066, 15s. Godiva held this land under edeva; she could withdraw.
In the same village Fulkwy holds 1 virgate of land from the Count. The value is and was 5s. Leofeva held it under Edeva; she could withdraw.
In CROYDON Humphrey holds 2 hides from Eudo. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 6½ villagers. Meadow for 2 ploughs. The value is and always was 40s. Earl Gyrth held this land.
In CROYDON 2 men-at-arms hold 3 hides and 1 virgate from Hardwin. Land for 4 ploughs. 3 ploughs there; a fourth possible. 8smallholders; meadow for 1 plough. The value is and always was 65s. Alfled, under the patronage of Archbishop S(tigand), held 1 hide of this land; she could grant and sell. 4 Freemen held 1 hide from King edward and found 4 escorts for the Sheriff, but they could grant or sell their land. A man of Asgar the Constable's held 5 virgates; he could grant and sell.
In CROYDON Ansketel holds 2 hides less ½ virgate from Picot. Land for 2 ploughs; but they are not there except for the oxen, with 1 villager and 2 small holders. Value 30s; when acquired 40s; before 1066 as much. A man of Asgar the Constable's held this land; he could grant and sell.
In the same village Alfred holds 1 hide and 1 virgate from Picot. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there. In lordship 1; 5 smallholders with the other plough; 2 cottagers. Meadow for 2 ploughs; wood for fence repair only. Value £4; when acquired 40s; before 1066 as much. A man of robert son of Wymarc's held this land; he could grant and sell, but the jurisdiction remained with Robert.
In CLOPTON the Bishop also holds 3½ hides. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1 hide and 3 virgates; 1 plough there. 6 villagers and 5 smallholders with 3 ploughs; a fourth possible. Meadow for 5 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. Value 60s; when acquired 40s; before 1066 £4. This land lay in the lordship of St. Peter's Church, Winchester.
In CLOPTON Humphrey holds 1½ hides from Eudo. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 7 smallholders. Meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland for repairing fences. Value £4; when acquired 40s; before 1066 as much. Earl Gyrth held this land.
In CLOPTON Picot holds a garden from King Edward's jurisdiction which paid 1 escort for the King's Sheriff.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com