Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
DODDINGTON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, ISLE of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (S. by W.) from March, comprising the chapelries of Benwick and Marsh, and the hamlet of Wimblington, and containing 5899 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, and in the patronage of Sir H. Peyton, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The sum of £500, given in 1719, by Lionel Walden, Esq., a native of the parish, for the erection of a free school, having for many years remained unappropriated, has accumulated to £1800 three per cents., and £500 four per cents., and a school has been recently established, the master of which has a salary of £40 per annum and a house.
Domesday Book Entry
In the two Hundreds of ELY which meet at Witchford.
The Abbot of Ely holds DODDINGTON for 5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2½ hides; 3 ploughs there. 24 villagers with 5 ploughs. 8 Freemen with 1 hide; 8 cottagers; 1 slave. Meandow for 8 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock; woodland, 250 pigs; from fisheries 27,150 eels; from presentations 24s. Total value £16; when acquired £10; before 1066 £12. This manor lies and lay in the lordship of the Church of Ely. With this manor lies 1 outlier, MARCH, where there are 12 villagers with 12 acres each; it is assessed with the manor.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page as well as the details of Doddington School Memorial and the plaque to the Doddington Yeomanry in March, St Wendreda's church.
Doddington is a parish, formerly comprising the chapelry and market town of March and the hamlets of Benwick and Wimblington; but by an Act of Parliament passed in 1856, called "Doddington Rectory Division Act" (19 & Vict. C. 1), which came into operation on the death of a former Rector, in Nov. 1868, these places are now distinct parishes; it is in the Northern division of the county, hundred and union of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, petty sessional division and county court district of March, and in the peculiar archdeaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The village is on the main road between March and Chatteris, equi-distant 4 miles from each place, and 1&frac1/4 miles south-west from Wimblington station on the Cambridge, St. Ives and Wisbech branch of the Great Eastern railway. The parish is supplied with water by the Wisbech waterworks.
The church of St. Mary is an ediface of stone, in the early English style, consisting of a fine chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches, vestry and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel, separated from the nave by carved oak screen, was restored in 1891 at a cost of £978, and a vestry screen, the gift of J.H. Marshall esq. of Grimsby, erected at a cost of £103; the nave was restored in 1892 at a cost of £800; the stained west window, a memorial to John Thomas Waddington esq. was presented by his widow about 1867; the stained east window was presented in 1891 by T.R. Harding esq. as a memorial to his wife and other members of the Harding family; the stained south window in the sanctuary was presented by Mrs. Peyton in 1907, in memory of her husband, General Francis Peyton, and there are other windows to the Richards and Peyton families, besides several tablets to the Peyton family, whose family vault is under the chancel; the church affords 600 sittings. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £1,026 with residence, and including 61 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lt.-Col. Sir Algernon Francis Peyton bart. J.P. and held since 1887 by the Rev. Frederick Charles Marshall M.A. of St. Johnís College, Cambridge. This living was formerly the richest in England, but under the Act of 1856 and a previous Act in 1847 (10 & 11 Vict. C. 3) it is divided into seven rectories, viz. Benwick, Doddington, Wimblington, March Old Town, March St. Peter, March St. John and March St. Mary. Here is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The St. Maryís Church Reading and Recreation Rooms form a picturesque structure of brick, erected on a site given by the rector, and presented to the parish by Col. and Miss Harding; there are 98 members. A clock tower with four dials was erected in 1897, at a cost of £90, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria; there is also a fire engine house.
The Workhouse for the North Witchford Union, erected here about 1838, is a large building of light-coloured brick, and will hold 283 inmates, the average number being about 108.
The soil is clay and fen; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, beans, oats and roots. The area is 7,037 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, £17,373; the population in 1901 was 1,486, including 8 officers and 124 inmates in the North Witchford Workhouse.
Primrose Hill and New World are in the neighbourhood of Doddington.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1912]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com