Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
DUXFORD, comprising the parishes of Duxford-St. Peter and Duxford-St. John, in the hundred of WHITTLESFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 61/4 miles (w.) from Linton, containing 605 inhabitants. The living of St. Peter's is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £21. 6. 8, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cam-bridge. That of St John's is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £ 13.3.4., and, in the patron age of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge they are in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The boundaries of each parish not being accurately known, the two are assessed as one. Here is a school under the direction of nine feoffees, founded pursuant to the will of the Rev. Richard King, in 1649, and endowed with £27 pen annum; also, the remains of an ancient hospital, the chapel of which is now used as a barn.
DUXFORD, comprising the ancient parishes of St Peter and St. John (now constituting a single parish for all purposes), is 1 mile south from Whittlesford station on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway (which is in this parish), 9 south from Cambridge and 7 west from Linton, in the hundred of Whittlesford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
A cemetery of one acre, presented by the Rev. H. S. Carter M.A. rector 1865-1904, was enclosed by the parishioners and landowners at a cost of £224, and is under the control of the Parish Council.
In the centre of the village is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1920 at a cost of £240, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-15.
The Congregational chapel, founded in 1794, was thoroughly repaired and a school room and vestry added in 1859 at a cost of £350; it will seat 400 persons.
The Red Lion hotel, at Whittlesford Bridge, is said to have formerly been part of a small monastic establishment anciently existing here: the rafters of the ceiling and the mantel-piece are very fancifully carved. The chapel belonging to this religious house, though but little known, is an exquisite structure of rubble of the Decorated period, and its design is of extraordinary merit: the tracery of the once fine east window has disappeared, but the piscina and sedile recess remain, and there are side lancet windows with beautifully moulded hood arches: the building may fairly be regarded as a perfect model for a small but plain chapel.
James Bedwell, in 1573, left certain estates in the parish, the rents to be distributed in herrings during Lent and Passion week ; this has now been commuted into a money payment of £3, which is distributed annually: there is also a charity called "dole money," left by a lady, and amounting to £1 10s. annually: King's charity, derived from land, is about £16 a year, £2 for two poor widows and the remainder for educational purposes. There is a Royal Air Force station in this parish.
The great tithes of Duxford St. John are owned by Clare College. In this parish are four manors: Mrs. Fisher owns one, William Evelyn Long esq. J.P. two, and Cain College, Cambridge, the fourth. The lords of the manors and James Binney esq. D.L., J.P. and Viscount Hampden K.C.B., C.M.O. are the principal landowners.
The soil is gravelly and chalky; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,233 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1921 was 734.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In WHITTLESFORD Hundred.
In DUXWORTH Gerard holds 6 hides from the Count. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 2; 4 villagers and 5 smallholders with 4 ploughs. 1 slave; meadow for 2 ploughs. In total, the value is and was 100s; before 1066 £7. Edeva held this land.
In DUXWORTH the Count holds 5 hides and 3 virgates himself. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 2 more possible. 1 mill at 12s was there; now it is broken, but it can be repaired. Meadow for 2 ploughs. In total, value 100s; when acquired £7; before 1066 as much. Arnulf holds this land from Count Eustace. Horwulf held 7 virgates from King Edward, and Archbishop Stigand (held) 3½ hides. Guy holds ½ hide of this land and 1 mill at a revenue from Count Eustace. In total, value 28s 8d. Ingvar held this land from King Edward and could sell.
Robert of Tosny holds 4½ hides in DUXFORD. Gilbert holds from him. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 2; 8 villagers with 8 smallholders have 4 ploughs. 6 slaves; meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 12 pigs. Value £4; when acquired 30s; before 1066, 40s. Leofsi held this land under Earl Harold, and could withdraw without permission.
In DUXFORD Robert holds ½ hide. The value is and was 5s; before 1066, 5s. Aelfric held it from King Edward and could withdraw.
In DUXFORD Payne holds 3 hides and 1 virgate from Hardwin. Land for 3 ploughs and 2 oxen. In lordship 2 ploughs; 1 villager with 4 smallholders have 1 plough and 2 oxen. 3 slaves; meadow for 1 plough; from the pasture 1 ploughshare. Value 50s; when acquired 60s; before 1066, 100s. 12 Freemen held this land, 11 of whom were King Edward's men and found 2 cartages and 9 escorts for the Sheriff; however, they could sell their lands. the remaining 2, one Earl Algar's man, the other Edeva's man, held 1½ hides; but they could not sell their land.
In FLENDISH Hundred (these men) swore
(and all other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore).
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com