Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the East Hatley page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.
EAST HATLEY is a parish, about 3 miles south--east from Gamlingay station on the Bedford and Cambridge section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 7 north-west from Royston and about 13 south--west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Denis is a build-ing of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and a western tower containing one bell: the chancel dates from 1260 and the nave from 1200: in 1874 the fabric was restored, new roofed and re-floored, open benches introduced and three stained windows erected, at a cost of £1,738: there are some memorials to the Castell family, the former owners of the estate, including an altar tomb to Mrs. Constance Castell, ob. 1610, and a tablet to the Rev. W. Cray Say, a former rector, d. 1751: the church affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678.
Master and Fellows of Downing College are lords of the manor and sole
landowners. The soil is clay, in some parts heavy; subsoil, boulder clay.
The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,189 acres; the
population in 1921 was 100.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
IN ARMINGFORD Hundred.
In (East) HATLEY Aelmer holds 1 hide and 3 virgates from the Count. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 2 villagers and 5 smallholders with 3 ploughs. 3 slaves; meadow for 1 plough; woodland for fences. The value is and was 40s; before 1066, 60s. He held it himself under Edeva before 1066; he found 1 escort and could withdraw.
In (East) HATLEY Humphrey holds 1 hide and 1 virgate from Eudo. Land for 1 plough. 2 smallholders. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 20s; before 1066, 30s. Aelmer, Robert son of Wymarc's man, held this land; he could grant and sell his land.
In (East) HATLEY Picot holds 2 hides. Land for 3 ploughs; 1½ ploghs there; as many [more] possible. Meadow for 2 ploughs; 2 smallholders; woodland for repairing fences. The value is and was 40s; before 1066, 60s. 8 Freemen held this land; they could grant and sell. 2 of them were King Edward's men, and found 2 escorts. 3 were Archbishop Stigand's men; their jurisdiction lay in (Guilden) Morden. 1 was Earl Gyrth's man. 1 was Robert son of Wymarc's man. 1 was Wulfmer of Eaton's man. Picot states he had 1 hide of this land in exchange for Eynesbury; and (he had) the other in exchange for Rushden, becuase Ilbert of Hertford delivered (it) to him.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com