Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ELM, a parish in the hundred of WISBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2 miles (S.S.E.) from Wisbeach, containing 1368 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage to which the curacy of Emneth is annexed, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £14. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Rector of Elm with Emneth; the rectory is a sinecure, rated in the king's books at £ 17, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Thomas Squire, in 1689, bequeathed a school-room with a house and lands, now producing about £50 a year, for teaching poor children.
Domesday Book Entry
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire pages
ELM is an extensive parish and village in the Isle of Ely, on the Wisbech canal, on the borders of Norfolk, 2 miles south, south-east from Wisbech, 9 from March and 87 north from London, in the Wisbech hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech, and in the diocese of Ely. The Coldham station of the London and North Eastern railway is in this parish.
The church of All Saints is a large building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with small spire containing 6 bells: the church has been restored: the chancel was renovated internally in 1875, and further repairs and improvements were carried out in 1908 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: there are 468 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £525, with residence, and including 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1920 by the Rev. Edgar Horwood Van Cooten B.A. of London University. Near the church is a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here.
Under the provisions of the Allotment Act of 1882, land in this parish is let out in allotments, viz. on the vicar's glebe, 9 acres 3 roods, divided into allotments of 1 rood each, and 27 acres granted by the trustees of the Elm United Charities, let out in unequal allotments. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats, with potatoes and fruit in large quantities. The area, including Coldham and Friday Bridge, is 11,355 acres of land and 35 of water; the population in 1921 was 2,738 in the civil and 1,383 in the ecclesiastical parish.
BEGDALE, 1 mile, is in the parish.
COLDHAM, including STAGSHOLT and PEARTHEE HILL, is now a separate ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under the heading of "COLDHAM."
FRIDAY BRIDGE has also a separate heading.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com