Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
GIRTON, a parish in the hundred of NORTH STOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Cambridge, containing 320 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at 18. 4. 4½. Sir S. V. Cotton, Bart. was patron in 1807. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew: its tower is in the later style of English architecture.
GIRTON is a parish and village, on a feeder of the Ouse, close to the road from Cambridge to Huntingdon, 2 miles south-west from Histon station on the St. Ives and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway and 2½ north-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of North Stowe, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Andrew is a building of rubble and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: there are piscinæ in the chancel and south aisle: the south porch has a parvise of later date and a turret with door at the south-west angle the tower is a heavy structure carried on three arches with a polygonal tower reaching half way up on the southern face: there are brasses in the church to former rectors, with effigies in processional vestments, dated respectively 1497 and 1492: the church was restored in 1853 and the chancel decorated about 1899: through the bequest of Miss Coombe, the daughter of a former rector, the church was completely restored and a new organ installed in 1926-7, at 5 cost of £2,000: there are 210 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1629; marriages, 1630. A memorial of Portland stone in the churchyard bears the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
There is a Baptist chapel here.
Girton College, incorporated in 1924 by royal charter, was first opened at Hitchin in 1869 and removed to its present buildings in October, 1873: they are of plain red brick, on the Huntingdon road, about 1½ miles from Cambridge, and were erected by voluntary contributions: the charge for board, lodgings and tuition is £50 per term. In the course of the year ending June, 1928, there were 182 students in residence.
The soil is principally heavy ; the subsoil, clay, producing excellent crops of all descriptions of grain. The area is 1,681 acres; the population in 1921 was 642.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire web site.
Girton St Andrew
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster