Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Gorefield

GOREFIELD is an ecclesiastical parish, in the Isle of Ely, formed under the provisions of the Leverington Rectory Act, 1870, out of the civil parishes of Leverington Newton and Parson Drove, and is 4 miles north-west from Wisbech, in the hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Paul, erected in 1870 is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 308 sittings. The register dates from the year 1871. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 647, with residence, in the gift of thc Bishop of Ely, and held since 1915 by Rev. John Hagley Rutter M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1836, which has 200 sittings.

The parish room, erected in 1904 at a cost of 300, and enlarged in 1925, is a building in the Gothic style, used as a Sunday school and temporary day school. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay; the chief crops are fruit, oats, beans, potatoes, wheat and mustard. The population in 1921 was 1,489.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

Gorefield is not mentioned in the Domesday Book as it was only formed as an Ecclesiastical Parish in 1870.

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll-of-Honour Cambridgeshire page

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Gorefield page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com