Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
GRANTCHESTER, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Cambridge, containing 344 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7. 14. 4½., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Andrew, was erected early in the fifteenth century; a portion of the interior is remarkably light and elegant. This is said to have been the Camboritum of Antonine, situated on the banks of the Granta, now the river Cam, the present Saxon name confirming the opinion of its having been the site of a Roman station. About the year 700, according to Bede, "Grantchester was a desolate little city, near the walls of which was found a beautiful coffin of white marble." Dr. Cay supposes the station to have extended not only as far as Cambridge, but northward, beyond the castle; foundations of buildings have been frequently discovered between the village of Grantchester and the town of Cambridge, the latter being supposed to have risen out of the ruins of the Roman station.
GRANTCHESTER, in Domesday 'Grantesete' and 'Grauntsethe,' and supposed by some to be the 'Grantaceaster' of Bede, is a parish and village, pleasantly situated on the west bank of the river Cam or Granta, 2½ miles south-west from Cambridge town, 3½ south-west from Cambridge railway station, in the Western division of the county, Wetherley hundred, Chesterton union, Cambridge petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The Bourn Brook, which separates this parish from Haslingfield, here joins the Cam, which separates the parish from Trumpington.
The church of St. Andrew is a building of clunch and rubble, with stone quoins and buttresses, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 3 bells: the chancel is a small but perfect example of the Decorated style, and has a curious single niche on either side : in the north wall is a low ogee-headed recess, and on the south side a cinquefoiled piscina: there is a memorial window to the Rev. Francis George Howard M.A. curate here 1866-75, d. i889; one to the Rev. William Martin M.A. vicar 1850-82, and five other memorial windows to members of the Howard, Lilley and Hawkes families; the stained east window was the gift of the Rev. Annesley William Streane D.D. vicar here 1898-1904: the nave is Perpendicular and retains a recess, and at the east end of the aisle is an altar-tomb, with the matrices of brass effigies of a man, his wife, children and shields of arms, circa 1470: there is also a fragment of an inscription on brass to a former vicar, the reverse of which is also inscribed: the font, apparently of Norman date, is a plain circular basin on a modern stem; there is a square Jacobean pulpit, ornamented in front with a shield of arms, 'two chevronels and a canton:' a south aisle was erected and the nave new roofed in 1877, and during the period 1887-91 the church was restored and seven stained windows erected, at a total cost of £2,923; the church affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539.
The Baptist chapel was built in 1876 and enlarged in 1891.
The village hall was erected in 1928, at a cost of about £750. The feast, formerly held annually on July 25th and two following days is now held on July 25th only unless the 25th happens to fall on a Saturday or holiday, in which case the feast is held on the following Monday. There are some benefactions for special objects and a few small charities. This village is the site of a Roman station, and traces of a small Roman camp still remain. There also exists an ancient manor house (once the refuge of the members of King's College, Cambridge, during the time of the Plague) with a moated enclosure; the mill mentioned by Chaucer was higher up the river than the present mill. Lingay Fen, where ice skating championships are often held is partly in this parish.
The soil is for the most part clayey; subsoil, clay and in some parts gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 1,380 acres of land and 11 of water; the in 1921 was 489 in the civil parish and also in the ecclesiastical parish.
In 1912, by Local Government Board Cambridge (Extension) Order, 1911, an area of 167 acres from this parish was added to the borough of Cambridge far civil purposes.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details on the Roll of Honour Cam,bridgeshire web site..
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com