Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ABINGTON (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of CHILFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 21/4 miles (N.W.) from Linton, containing 337 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7.16.3., and in the patronage of the Trustees of T. Mortlock, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
GREAT ABINGTON is a parish and village, on the south bank of the river Granta and on the main road from Cambridge to Linton and Haverhill, 1 mile east from Pampisford station on a branch of the London and North Eastern railway from Cambridge to Haverhill, 2¾ north-west from Linton, 8 north from Saffron Walden and 8 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient edifice of flint and rubble, chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, east porch and a south tower containing 2 bells: on the north side of the chancel is a monument with recumbent effigy in alabaster to Sir William Halton kt. of the Middle Temple, ob. 20th November, 1639: the church was repaired in 1895, at a cost of £500, and the south aisle in 1900, at a cost of £200: the church affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664.
Abington Hall, the residence of James John Emerson esq. J.P. is a handsome mansion, prettily seated in a well-timbered park of about 100 acres, through which flows the river Granta. James John Emerson esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The soil is chiefly light, but certain parts are heavy; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,558 acres; the population in 1921 was 219.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In ABINGTON Picot holds under the King's hand; Sigar, a Freeman, holds ½ virgate from him. Value 12d. Aelmer held this land before 1066; he could grant and sell. Aubrey de Vere appropriated it in the King's despite; and Picot adjudged it against him. Of the stock which he took from it, Aubrey still keeps 400 sheep, less 20, and 1 plough, as the men of the Hundred testify.
The Count holds ABINGTON himself. 5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2½ hides; 3 ploughs there. 11 villagers and 5 smallholders with 5 ploughs. 4 slaves; 1 mill at 6s 8d; meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 20 pigs. In total, the value is and was £10. Edeva held this manor.
Aubrey holds ABINGTON himself, and Firmatus from him. It answers for 6 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; a third possible. 9 villagers with 5 small holders have 4 ploughs; a fifth possible. Meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 10 pigs; 1 mill at 9s; from the pasture 6 ploughshares. The value is and was £8; before 1066 £6. The said Wulfwin, King Edward's thane, held this manor. A priest held 1 hide of this land from Edeva the Fair; he could not withdraw without her permission. Now Count Alan claims it back in despite of Aubrey's men, as the Hundred testifies.
In ABINGTON 1 Freeman has ½ hide from the King which is in the charge of Picot the Sheriff. Value 12d a year. Aelmer, a Freeman of King Edward's, held it; he could grant or sell to whom he would before 1066. Aubrey de Vere annexed this land from the King's jurisdiction, but Picot the Sheriff adjudged it against him and still keeps 1 plough and 380 sheep which Aubrey has from that land, as the men of the Hundred testify.
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire web site.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com