Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
EVERSDEN (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 7 miles (S.E. by E.) from Caxton, containing 268 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £6. 14. 2., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
GREAT EVERSDEN is a parish, 3 miles southwest from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 7 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstow, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary is a plain building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower, with a short wooden spire covered with lead and a projecting belfry containing 3 bells: in the east wall of the chancel is a piscina, and on the other side a small aumbry: the rood staircase and upper door remain: there are some old benches, two having misereres, and a Jacobean pulpit: the church was restored about the year 1864, and again in 1920 at a cost of £370, and affords 175 sittings. The register dates from the year 1541.
The Congregational chapel was first founded in 1689; the present building was erected in 1845, at a cost of £1,000: in the chapel is a tablet to the Rev. Francis Holcraft M.A. who was imprisoned for nearly nine years, in 1663, and at a later period for another three years, for preaching to an Independent congregation here: there are 500 sittings: the chapel is endowed with a bequest of about £200 in 3 per Cent. Consols, from Robert Leete esq. who also left a sum of £100 for the poor in connection with this place of worship, and another £100 was bequeathed by Stephen Leete esq. for the support of the ministry here.
The soil is clunch, clay and gault and the subsoil, gravel, gault, and in some parts chalk, of which there are several quarries. The area is 1,400 acres; the population in 1921 was 170.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com