Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
GYHIRN, a chapelry in the parish of ST. MARY, WISBEACH, hunthed of WISBEACH, Isle of Ely, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (N. N. w.) from March. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £ 500 parliamentary grant. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene.
GUYHIRN with RINGSEND - These places were formed into an ecclesiastical parish March 28, 1871, from the civil parishes of Wisbech St. Peter and Wisbech St. Mary, including the hamlet of Thorney Toll, which is 3½ miles west, and a portion of Wisbech St. Mary, with nearly the whole of Wisbech Fen.
GUYHIRN is on the navigable river Nene, here crossed by an iron girder bridge belonging to the London and North Eastern railway, and also by a new reinforced concrete bridge, suitable for vehicular traffic, which was opened in 1925. Guyhirn has a station on the London and North Eastern railway, and is 4 miles north-west from March Junction station on the same line and 6 south-west from Wisbech, in the hundred, petty sessional division, union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary Magdalene, erected at a cost of £3,700 and consecrated in 1878, is built upon the site of an earlier church of the same name which existed here in the 15th century: the present edifice, designed by the late Sir Geo. Gilbert Scott R.A. consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a western turret containing 3 bells, which was restored in 1920 at a cost of £460: the eagle lectern was carved by the Hon. Mrs. Montgomery, of Edinburgh, who also gave an oak communion table: the stone pulpit and font were given by friends from Devonshire and the parishioners: there are memorial windows to William Herbert Carpenter, d. 1878, and others to the Marriott family: the church affords 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1871.
The old chapel of ease, now used as a mortuary chapel, is a plain building of stone, erected in 1660, and restored in 1918 at a cost of £135 ; it has a bell dated 1637. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel and a Wesleyan chapel at Ringsend.
At Thorney Toll is a school church and a Roman Catholic chapel.
The soil is clay and silt; subsoil, silt. The chief crops an potatoes, wheat and oats. The population in 1921 was 1,166.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com