Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HARDWICKE, a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (E. by N.) from Caxton, containing 134 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 14. 2. The church is dedicated to. St. Mary.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
Domesday Book Entry
In LONGSTOW Hundred
In HARDWICK the Abbot of Ely holds 3 hides, 1 virgate and 12 acres. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1½ hides and 12 acres; 2 ploughs there. 7 villagers with 4 ploughs. 4 slaves; meadow for 4 ploughs; wood for fences. The value is and was 100s; before 1066 £6. This land lies and always lay in the lordship of the Church of Ely.
In the same village Ralph holds 10 acres from the Abbot. Land for 1 ox. The value is and was 12d. Cabe held this land under the Abbot; he could not withdraw from him.
HARDWICKE is a parish, 5 miles north-by-west from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 6 west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstowe, union and petty sessional division of Caxton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 3 bells: the chance! retains a piscina, and the stairs to the rood loft also remain: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. James Smith Brown M.A. 22 years rector of the parish, 1870-92: there are 152 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1564. In or about 970, King Edgar, by the advice of Ethelwold, Bishop of Winchester, re-established a monastery here under the Benedictine rule, and gave back to it all the lands with which it was originally endowed, appointing Brithnoth, Prior of Winchester, the first abbot: the manor, given by him in 991 to the Abbot and Convent of Ely, was afterwards annexed to the see, till alienated by Bishop Heton in 1600: soon after this it was in the family of Long, whose heiress, Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Long esq. of Shingaye, brought it in marriage to Sir William Russell, created 21 July, 1603, Baron Russell of Thornhaugh; he died 9 Aug. 1613, end the title is now held by his descendant the Duke of Bedford K.G. after some intermediate alienations, it became the property of Dr. Matthew Wren, Bishop of Hereford (1635-6), then of Norwich (1636-8) and afterwards of Ely (1638-67), who gave it to the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College for the support and repairs of their new chapel, built chiefly at his expense, after a design by his nephew, the famous Sir Christopher Wren. The Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor.
The soil is stiff clay subsoil, gault. The crops are wheat, barley and beans and a considerable quantity of pasture land. The area is 1,390 acres; the population in 1921 was 149.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com