Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HARLTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Cambridge, containing 221 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £14. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
HARLTON is a parish on the old Roman road to Cambridge, 1½ miles south of Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 6 south-west of Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Chesterton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of the Assumption of the Virgin, erected about 1370, is an edifice of clunch in the transition style from Decorated to Perpendicular, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the reredos is in carved stone with shallow niches: there is a stone rood screen, and an embattled turret, with newel staircase, remains at the north-west angle and has a door opening upon the nave roof: the chancel contains a large piscina of Perpendicular date, and in the north porch is a mutilated stoup : a memorial window was erected in 1867 to the Rev. James Fendall M.A. rector from 1839 to i866: in 1869 an organ was erected by the Rev. 0. Fisher: the church underwent restoration in 1912 : there are 250 sittings, 160 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1636; marriages and burials, 1690.
The soil and subsoil are partly clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and fruit. The area is 1,261 acres ; the population in 1921 was 214.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In HARLTON Walter son of Aubrey holds 4 hides from Walter Giffard. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 2; 7 villagers with 9 smallholders have 4 ploughs. 2 slaves; ½ mill at 13s 4d and 100 eels; meadow for 3 ploughs. In total, it pays £7; when acquired £6; before 1066 £8. Aki, King Edward's thane, held this land. 5 Freemen were "there; they found 5 escorts and could sell their land.
In HARLTON Sifrid holds 1 hide from Picot. Land for 1 plough; but it is not (there). Meadow for 4 oxen; 2 smallholders. The value is and always was 20s. Godman held this land under Asgar the Constable and could withdraw.
[In ORWELL Walter holds 1 virgate from Walter Giffard. Land for 2 oxen. 3 smallholders. The value is and always was 2s. Aki, Earl Harold's man, held this land. It belongs to Harlton. ]
In WETHERLEY Hundred (these men) swore
(and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore).
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com