Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HASLINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (S.W. by S.) from Cambridge, containing 549 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 10. 7½. C. Mitchell, Esq. was patron in 1800. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1352; it is in the early style of English architecture. A charity school was founded by Simon Ertman, a Dane, who died here in 1658; the present income is £28 per annum. In a chapel dedicated to the Virgin, and formerly much resorted to, a pair of huge iron fetters was hung up, as a votive offering, by one Lord Scales, in commemoration of his release from imprisonment.
HASLINGFIELD is a parish, bounded on the east by the river Cam, 2 miles north from Harston station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 5½ south-west-by-south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Chesterton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. Lord's Bridge station on the Cambridge, Bedford and Bletchley line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway is in the north part of the parish.
The church of All Saints is a spacious edifice of clunch and stone in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and a fine embattled western tower, erected stout 1460, with octagonal pinnacles and a low spire and containing a clock and 5 bells the tower was restored in 1898 at a cost of £700. and again in 1900 : the chancel dates from about 1300, and its windows, as well as those in the aisles, retain some ancient glass: the aisle roofs are very fine Early Decorated, with elaborate mouldings, flowing tracery and rich foliaged bosses: the benches are all of carved oak : the chancel and nave were restored in 1875-9, when two stained windows and a vestry and organ chamber were added and the chancel roof decorated, at a cost of £1,650 : in the chancel are four monuments to the Wendy family: the church affords about 700 sittings, 500 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1709. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here.
A portion of the Manor House remains, with the moat. The soil is chalky and clay; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are fruit. wheat, beans and oats. The area is 2,564 acres of land and 9 of water; the population la 1921 was 590.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In HASLINGFIELD the King holds 7 hides and 1 virgate. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2; a third possible. 11 villagers and 9 smallholders with 4 ploughs; a fifth possible. Meadow for 3 ploughs; wood for repairing fences; 2 slaves. It pays £10 assayed and weighed, and £13 8s 4d in white coin for honey, corn, malt and other customary dues; before 1066 it paid £10 at face value, and in proportion to this, as much corn, malt and honey as was needed. This land was always in the King's revenue.
In HASLINGFIELD Robert holds 1 hide and ½ virgate from the Count. Land for 1½ ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 4 villagers with 1 smallholder have ½ plough. Meadow for 4 oxen. Value 20s; when acquired 22s; before 1066 as much. Aldred held this land under Edeva; he could not withdraw without her permission. In the same village the Count holds ½ hide himself in lordship; it belongs to Swavesey, his manor. Land for ½ plough. The value is and was 8s. Edeva the Fair held it. In the same village Robert holds 12 acres of land from the Count. The value is and was 2s. Merwin held (it) from Edeva; he could grant.
In HASLINGFIELD Roger holds 5 hides from Geoffrey. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 2; 8 villagers with 18 cottagers have 4 ploughs. Meadow for 2 ploughs. In total, value £7; when acquired and before 1066 £6. Sigar, Asgar the Constable's man, held this land and could grant or sell; but the jurisdiction remained with the lord.
In HASLINGFIELD Sifrid holds 4 hides and 3 virgates from Picot. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 4 villagers with 22 smallholders have 2 ploughs; 1 mill at 2s; meadow for 2 ploughs. Value £4; when acquired 40s; before 1066 £4. 6 Freemen held this land. One of them, Asgar's man, held 1 hide and 3 virgates, and could sell. The other 5, King Edward's men, held 3 hides; they found 2 cartages and 3 escorts; they could grant and sell their land.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
Haslingfield Church from Church Pit
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com