Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HAUXTON, a parish in the hundred of THRIPLOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Cambridge, containing 236 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage with that of Newton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £6. 16., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is principally in the Norman style.
HAUXTON is a parish on the banks of the river Cam and the London road, about 1 mile north-east from Harston station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 4 miles south-south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Thriplow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Edmund, erected about 1130, is an edifice of clunch and rubble in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled Perpendicular western tower of rubble and masonry containing 3 bells: the north and south doorways and the chancel arch are Norman: the font consists of an octagonal basin on five shafts: there is a Decorated piscina and a plain sedile: the pulpit is partly constructed of old Perpendicular woodwork: on the south side of the chancel arch, within an arched recess, is a fresco of the 13th century representing St. Thomas a Becket and in excellent preservation: the church was restored about 1862 : Dowsing, the great enemy of ecclesiastical art in the 17th century, came here, 13th March, 1643, and destroyed a crucifix, three Popish pictures and a brass inscription: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560.
The soil is chalky and clay; subsoil, chalk arid clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 592 acres of land and 9 of water: the population in 1921 was 260 in the civil parish and 457 in the ecclesiastical parish.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
HAUXTON answers for 8½ hides. Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 5 hides; 4 ploughs there; 16 villagers and 4 smallholders with 8 ploughs. 3 slaves; 2 mills at 50s; meadow for 4 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. The total value is and was £13; before 1066 £14. This manor lies and always lay in the lordship of the Church of Ely.
In HAUXTON Hardwin holds 1½ hides. Land for 2 ploughs; they are there, with 4 smallholders. In lordship 1½ hides; 1 mill at 20s; meadow for 2 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. The value is and was 60s; before 1066 £4. Bondi held 3 virgates of this land from the Abbot of Ely and could sell; but the jurisdiction remained with the Abbot. Another Freeman of Earl Algar's held 3 virgates and could withdraw with his land.
In THRIPLOW Hundred (these men) swore, namely
(and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore).
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com