Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HILDERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of CHILFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 1¾, mile (N. W. by N.) from Linton, containing 193 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £15. 0. 5. The Rev. Charles Goodwin was patron in 1806. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
HILDERSHAM is a parish and pretty village on the river Granta, 1½ miles north-west from Linton station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 9 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district Of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, and archdenconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south chantry, south porch and a western tower of Early English date containing 3 bells, presented to the church by the sisters of the rector: in the chantry are two oaken effigies of Sir William Busteler and his wife, and some fine brasses to their descendants, Robert de Paris, of Caermarthen, ob. 1379, and his widow Alianora, with kneeling effigies beside a floriated cross; and to Henry Paris esq. ob. 1456, with effigy in full armour under a mutilated canopy ; there is also a small brass with knightly effigy in plate armour to Henry Paris, ob 1427, and a skeleton figure in shroud, circa 1530: the tower and sacristy date from the 12th century, and the former contains an ancient ladder; there is an early octagonal font: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Rev. Charles Goodwin M.A. rector from 1806, and patron, and Sarah his wife: in the north and south aisles are four fine stained windows of the 14th century, and there are others inserted in 1885, and also containing fragments of glass of ancient date: the reredos of alabaster, executed from a design by Mr C. A. Buckler, architect, was a memorial gift to the church: the nave and chancel were new roofed in 1878, and the church was repaired in 1890, under the direction of Messrs. Buckler, architects, of Oxford, the total cost amounting to over £2,000. there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559.
Hildersham Hall, the property and seat of Lady Miller, stands in a park consisting of 70 acres, well wooded and containing a piece of ornamental water. James Binney esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravel and chalk; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops ace wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,511 acres; the population in 1921 was 155.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
Aubrey holds HILDERSHAM himself. It answers for 5 hides. Land for 11 ploughs. In lordship 2½ hides; 4 ploughs there. 16 villagers have 7 ploughs. 4 slaves; 1 mill at 10s; meadow for 3 ploughs; woodland, 20 pigs. In total, value £10; when acquired £8; before 1066 £8. Wulfwin, King Edward's thane, held this land.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com