Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HINXTON, a parish in the hundred of WHITTLESFORD, County of CAMBRIDGE, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Linton, containing 319 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8 5. 2½., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
HINXTON is a village and parish on the borders of Essex, and 2 miles from either Great Chesterford or Whittlesford stations on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 north from Saffron Walden, 6 south-west from Linton and 9 south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Whittlesford, petty seasional division and union of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of SS. Mary and John is an edifice of flint and rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 2 bells: in the nave are remains of a holy water stoup and in the chapel a piscina and a hagioscope: in the chancel is an interesting monument to Sir Thomas Dayrell kt. of Lillingstone Dayrell, Bucks, and of Castle Camps, Cambs. ob. 2 April, 1669, and to Sarah (Wyndham) his wife, and many other members of this family the inscription, which is of great length, gives not only a biography of Sir Thomas, but also a genealogical account of his numerous descendants the monument appears to have been placed by Marmaduke Wyndham, his son: there are also brass effigies to Sir Thomas Skelton kt. ob. 1416, and his wife: also a stained window erected by Miss Nash, late of the Grange, in memory of her parents: the rood loft staircase still remains on the north side of the church: the chancel was restored in 1914: the bells were rehung in 1903: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. There is a Congregational chapel, built in 1836, which has 150 sittings.
Hinxton Hall, the property of the trustees of the late Robert Bertram Wilkinson esq. lords of the manor and the principal landowners, is a plain mansion of red brick; it is now the residence of Charles Laurence Pemberton Robinson seq. The soil is light, with a subsoil of gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,158 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1921 was 297. By a Local Governinent Board Order which came into operation March 25, 1886, a detached part of Ickleton was amalgamated with this parish.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** Details to follow ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
Hinxton Mill straddles the River Cam. It was constructed in the 17th century, though there has been a mill on the site for much longer; probably one mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being "worth 8 shillings". The adjoining cottage was built in the 18th century (an inscribed date of 1766 was found during recent repair work) - though the front part may date from about 1600. In the mid 19th century the mill building was extended in size, joining it up with the cottage.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster