Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HISTON, a parish in the hundred of CHESTERTON, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3½ miles (N. by w.) from Cambridge, containing 675 inhabitants. The living comprises the consolidated discharged vicarages of St. Andrew and St. Etheldreda, in the Archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated jointly in the king's books at £14. 3. 6½., and endowed with £200 royal bounty. The Heirs of _ Mitchell, Esq. were patrons in 1820. The church of St. Andrew is partly in the early, and partly in the later, style of English architecture; that of St. Etheldreda has been entirely demolished. Here is one of the five schools founded, in 1722, by Mrs. Elizabeth March, who endowed them with lands now producing £100 per annum.
HISTON is a village and parish, with a station, about 1 mile north-east, on the Cambridge, St. Ives and Huntingdon line of the Great Eastern railway, 62 ¼ miles from London by rail and 3 north-west from Cambridge, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
There were anciently two churches in this parish, St. Andrew's and St. Etheldreda's, but the latter, which stood west of St. Andrew's, about a furlong distant, was sacrilegiously pulled down in 1600 by Sir Francis Hinde, then lord of the manor, and the materials used to build his house at Madingley: in 1874, on the removal of the long unfinished gallery at the end of Madingley Hall, portions of moulded and traceried stone work formerly belonging to St. Etheldreda's were discovered, and re-incorporated in the chancel of St. Andrew's on its restoration. The church of St. Andrew is a cruciform building of rubble in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, transepts, a 14th century south porch and a central tower carried on low arches and containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel and transepts are very fine Early English, and the latter have internal arcades and double piscine and sedilia, all highly finished: the chancel retains two sedilia: the south transept is lighted by two triplets of lancets, and was formerly the mortuary chapel of the Sumpter family, whose memorials still remain under the seats, and was restored in 1871 by the widow of W. R. Sumpter esq: the nave piers and arches are Decorated: the font is Perpendicular and has quatrefoiled panels, and there are several stained windows, those in the chancel being of Munich glass: the chancel was restored internally, re-seated and new roofed in 1874-5, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. and the nave and aisles by G. F. Bodley esq. A.R.A, F.S.A. at a total cost of £5,000: there are 500 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1685; marriages, 1655.
A Baptist chapel was built in 1900, at a cost of £2,500 to seat 400 persons. There is also a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1897.
Messrs. Stephen Chivers and Sons, who own several hundred acres of fruit gardens in the parish, have a large jam factory in the village, in which they employ about 500 people; the works are lighted with electricity and provided with a large artesian well, capable of supplying a tank with 20,000 gallons of water in six hours; the firm is able to produce over 100 tons of jam daily.
The land produces excellent crops of grain and turnips, market garden produce and great quantities of fruit, from which Cambridge, London and other markets derive large supplies. The area is 2,162 acres; rateable value, £4,366; the population in 1891 was 948.
By the Divided Parishes Act, in 1882, and Local Government Board Order 18,936 (March 25, 1886), detached parts of Histon were added to Impington.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]
Domesday Book Entry
In Chesterton Hundred.
HISTON answers for 26½ hides. This manor is one of the 12 lordship manors of the Bishopric of Lincoln. Bishop R(emigius) holds 17 hides less 1 virgate. Land for 13 ploughs. In lordship 8 hides; 2 ploughs there; a third possible. 18 villagers and 18 smallholders with 9 ploughs; a tenth plough possible. 4 cottagers; 4 slaves. Meadow for 13 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. Total value £10; when acquired £12; before 1066 £14.
Of the 26½ hides Picot holds 9 hides and 3 virgates from the Bishop. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; a second possible. 10 villagers and 19 cottagers with 2 ploughs; another 2 possible. Meadow for 6 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. Value £4; when acquired £6; before 1066 £7. 9 Freemen held this land; they could sell, but the jurisdiction remained with the Bishop.
In the same village Bishop R(emigius) holds 1 hide and 1 virgate and 2 parts of 1 virgate. Land for 1 plough, but the plough is not there. 1 villager; 1 cottager. Meadow for 1 plough. Value 5s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 20s. Wulfin, the Abbot of Ely's man, held this land; he paid a sester of honey a year. Bishop (R)emigius) annexed this land in the Abbot's despite, as the Hundred testifies. Picot the Sheriff holds (it) from the Bishop.
In HISTON the Abbot holds 1 hide and 3 virgates. This land is assessed with Impington.
In HISTON Morin holds 1 virgate and 10 acres from the Count. This land is assessed in Girton.
In CHESTERTON Hundred (these men) swore
and all other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore.
On the green, just off the main road between the two villages stands the war memorial for Histon and Impington commemorating World War 1 and 2. There is a further war memorial for Histon Methodist Church.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com