Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
HORNINGSEA, a parish in the hundred of FLENDISH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Cambridge, containing 285 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. At an early period here was a considerable monastery of royal foundation, but it was destroyed by the Danes about 870.
HORNINGSEA (or Horningsey) is a parish and village on the east bank of the river Cam, 2 miles south from Waterbeach station on the Cambridge and Ely branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 4½ north-north-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Flendish, Bottisham petty sessional division, union of Chesterton, Cambridge county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. Across the Cam, and joining this parish to that of Waterbeach, is a bridge, built by a company formed for the purpose about 1872, and providing a means of communication with the Waterbeach railway station.
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Transition Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel dates from about 1220; the north arcade of the nave is Decorated, and the south Transition Norman; some of the windows are of the late Decorated period, and have beautiful tracery: the east end of the south aisle, anciently a chantry, retains a large niche: a brass tablet was erected in 1919, inscribed with the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918: the south porch has grotesque sculptures at the eaves: the church was thoroughly restored in 1865 at a cost of over £1,000, the chancel at the expense of St. John's College, and the nave by subscriptions from parishioners and friends: in 1890 the tower and other portions of the fabric were repaired at a cost of £400: further extensive repairs were carried out during 1923-5: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1628.
The parish enjoys one of the fens in Bottisham jointly with the inhabitants of that parish, as well as another fen in Quy and Horningsea.
The soil is clayey; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,635 acres of land and 12 of water; the population in 1921 was 371.
CLAYHITHE is a hamlet in this parish, bounded on the east by the river Cam. A toll bridge, erected by the Clayhithe Bridge Co. crosses the river Cam at Clayhithe and connects the parishes of Horningsea and Waterbeach.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** Details to follow ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com