Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
ICKLETON, a parish in the hundred of WHITTLESFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4¾ miles (W. S. W,) from Linton, containing 602 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 6. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A Benedictine nunnery was founded in the reign of Henry II., the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £80. 1. 10. A market, now disused, was granted to the Prioress by Henry III., together with a fair, which is still held on the 22nd of July.
ICKLETON is a village and parish on the borders Essex, and a mile north from Great Chesterford station on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway which is in this parish. 11 miles south from Cambridge, 7 south-west from Linton, 5 north from Saffron Walden and 44 by road from London, in the hundred of Whittlesford, Linton union and petty sessional division, Saffron Walden countv court district, Camps rural deanery and Ely archdeaconry and diocese.
The church of St Mary Magdalene is a large building of stone in the Early Norman style, some portions being, however, of later date : it consists of chancel, nave, aisle, south transept, south porch and a central tower with a lofty spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, which were re-cast and rehung in 1928: in the north aisle is a memorial window to the Hon. Algernon Herbert, d. 11 June, 1855, and there is another, erected in 1906 to Sir Robert George Wyndham Herbert G.C.B., D.C.L. LL.D. d. 6 May, 1905: the walls bear some ancient frescoes, much obscured by time: on the jambs of the clerestory windows are various figures, and the tower ceiling is also painted : the nave arcades are supposed to be Saxon: a part of the rood loft and a screen of Perpendicular date remain, the under part of the rood loft being richly traceried : in 1886 a marble memorial was erected to Sir Leger Algernon Herbert C.M.G. war correspondent, who was killed at Abu Klea in the Soudan, January 17, 1885 : the chancel was entirely rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1882-3, and retains a piscina and sedilia, and in 1885 further restorations were effected by Sir Robert Herbert G.C.B. and others, the total cost amounting to £1,416: in 1908-9 the church was again restored, when new windows were put in, the roof of the nave renewed and a weather vane erected on the steeple: during the restoration a good deal of Norman and earlier work was discovered : the church affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1842, which has 200 sittings, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1852. A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1883 at a cost of £500, with a chapel, and is under the control of the Parish Council.
In 1920 an obelisk of grey granite was erected on the village green, opposite the church, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
There was once a Benedictine nunnery here, founded in 1190 by Aubrey de Vere, first Earl of Oxford, or his father-in-law, Sir William de Cantelupe knt. and dedicated to St Mary Magdalene; the prioress had a grant from King Henry III. of a weekly market and an annual fair abolished in 1875: the remains of the Abbey, now the property of Mr. James Welch, have walls 3 feet thick: several stone coffins have been dug up on the site. The Caldrees is the residence of Mr. Beddoes, and Ickleton Grange of George William H. Bowen eng. D.L., J.P. There are three manors, belonging respectively to the trustees of Sir R. G. W. Herbert (d. 1905) and Clare and Trinity Colleges; the lords of the manors, with Mr. James Welch, the trustees of the late Henry Francis Beales esq. J.P. and G. W. H. Bowen esq. D.L., J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,695 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1920 was 543. By an Order which came into operation March 25, 1886, a detached part of this parish was amalgamated with Hinxton.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** Details to follow ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com