Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
IMPINGTON, a parish in the hundred of NORTHSTOW, county at CAMBRIDGE, 3¼ miles (N.) from Cambridge, containing 149 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 7., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has portions in the decorated, with insertions in the later, style of English architecture. This place had anciently a market and a fair.
IMPINGTON is a small parish, 3 miles north from Cambridge, and immediately adjacent to Histon station on the St. Ives and Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Northstow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Andrew, restored in 1879, is a small building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the wooden south porch is an interesting structure of the 15th century: the chancel retains some carved work, and in the church are several curious fragments of alabaster figures: during the restoration a fine fresco painting of St. Christopher was discovered on the north wall, where it is still preserved: there is also on the floor under the tower a very fine brass with effigies to John Burgoyne and his wife, ob. 1525, and a fine tombstone inscribed to Thomas Wibrow, ob. 1669: there are 200 sittings. The registers date from the year 1562
The soil is red loam and stiff clay; subsoil, clay, producing good crops of wheat and barley; it is also excellent fruit growing land. The area is 1,668 acres; rateable value, £3,4I7; the population in 1881 was 398, and in 1891 was 418. By the Divided Parishes Act, 1882, and Local Government Board Order, No. 18,936 (March 24, 1886), detached parts of Histon were added to Impington.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]
Domesday Book Entry
In NORTHSTOW Hundred.
IMPINGTON answers for 6½ hides. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 3½ hides. ½ plough there; [another] 1½ ploughs possible. 1 villager and 8 smallholders with 2 ploughs; [another] 2 possible. 7 cottagers; 1 slave. Meadow for 2 ploughs. The value is and was 40s; before 1066 £8. This manor lies and always lay in the lordship of the Church of Ely.
In IMPINGTON Walter holds 3½ hides from Picot. Land for 3 ploughs; they are there, with 4 smallholders; 4 cottagers. Meadow for 1 plough. In total, value 60s; when acquired 50s; before 1066 £4. 3 Freemen of the Abbot of Ely's held this land. 2 of them had 1 hide and 1 virgate; they vould sell, but the jurisdiction remained with the Abbot. The third had 2 hides and 1 virgate, but he could not sell.
[In HISTON the Abbot holds 1 hide and 3 virgates. This land is assessed with Impington.]
On the green, just off the main road between the two villages stands the war memorial for Histon and Impington commemorating World War 1 and 2.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com