Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
KENNETT, a parish in the hundred of STAPLOE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. E.) from Newmarket, containing 164 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £11. 10. 10. 0. Godfrey, Esq. was patron in 1813. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. In June 1647, this place was the headquarters of the parliamentarian army.
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be transcribed ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
KENNETT is a small parish, on the Suffolk border of the county, with a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 70 miles from London and 4 north-east from Newmarket, in the hundred of Staploe, Newmarket union and petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Fordham and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The village derives its name from the brook on which it stands, which was called Kennet, or Kent, by the Iberians, a name given by them to several small streams, notably in Berks, Westmorland, Sussex and Wilts.
The church of St. Nicholas is a building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Early English style it consists of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: it was thoroughly restored at the expense of the Rev. William Godfrey, rector here 1835-1900, at various times down to 1863 : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558.
The soil is mainly light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,425 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1021 was 154.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com