Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
KIRTLING, a parish in the hundred of CHEVELEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Newmarket, containing 627 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of Lord Guildford. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is principally in the Norman style, and contains various monuments of the noble family of North: the only relic of antiquity is the gateway of an ancient mansion which belonged to that Family.
Domesday Book Entry
In CHEVELEY Hundred
Countess Judith holds KIRTLING. It answered for 10 hides before 1066; now for 6 hides. Land for 21 ploughs. In lordship 4 hides; 4 ploughs there. 28 villagers with 17 smallholders have 16 ploughs. 7 slaves; meadow for 21 ploughs; woodland, 60 pigs; pasture for the village livestock; a park for woodland beasts; from the fishery 5,500 eels. The total value is and always was £18. Earl Harold held this manor.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
KIRTLING is a parish and village 5½ miles south-east from Newmarket which is the nearest railway station, in the hundred of Cheveley, union, petty sessional division arid county court district of Newmarket, rural deanery of Cheveley and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western towel supported by immense buttresses and containing 5 bells: in the church are the tombs of several of the North family, including Sir Edward North M.P. for Cambridgeshire, 1st Baron North. ob. 31 Dec, 1564, and his son, Sir Roger North de Kirtling, knight banneret and 2nd Baron, ob. 3 Dec 1600; the tomb of the latter bears his recumbent effigy in armour with gold spurs, the head resting on a baron's helmet and a couchant lion at the feet, the whole being surmounted by a canopy supported on six carved pillars; a third tomb commemorates Dudley, 4th baron, K.B. ob. 1677; and there are memorials to others of the family, dated 1665-6; there is also an ancient brass: the church affords 372 sittings. The register dates from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £359, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Harrowby, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Samuel Verner Wylie, of Glasgow University. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. seating 80 persons. A cross of Dartmoor granite was erected in 1921 at the junction of Kirtling with the hamlet of Upend, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Kirtling Towers, the seat of Lord North T.D., J.P. is all that now remains of the ancient Kirtling Hall, originally built about the reign of Henry VI but the main part of the building was pulled down in 1801 by George, 3rd Earl of Guilford and 9th Baron North; Princess Elizabeth, afterwards Queen, was a state prisoner at Kirtling Hall, under the charge of Edward, 1st Lord North: attached to the house is a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1877 and dedicated to Mary Immaculate and St. Philip, and there is a house for the priest near the chapel; the public are admitted to mass at 9 a.m. Lord North T.D.. J.P. who is lord of the manor, and Stephen Goodwin Howard esq. C.B.E., D.L., J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy loam; subsoil, clay; whilst to the north-east of the parish there is an outcrop of upper chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and oats, The area is 3,126 acres; the population in 1921 was 553.
UPEND is a hamlet in this parish, about 1½ miles north-east.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com