Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
LANDBEACH, a parish in the hundred of NORTHSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Cambridge, containing 371 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £10. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, The church is dedicated to All Saints.
LANDBEACH is a small parish, 1½ miles west from Waterbeach station on the Cambridge and Ely section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 5 north-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Northstow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely; the road from Cambridge to Ely passes through a portion of the parish.
The church of All Saints is a building of rubble and stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, chantry (restored in 1878 and now used as a vestry), south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 4 bells: there are monuments to several former rectors, viz.: Henry Clifford, 1616; J. Mickleburgh, 1756; T. C. Burroughes, 1821, and Edward Addison, 1821-43; and one to William Rawley D.D. ob. 1667, chaplain to Francis, Lord Verulam: there is some fine carved woodwork, and four stalls with misereres, two of which bear the arms of former bishops of Ely: the nave has a fine Early Perpendicular roof with tie beams, and large figures of angels projecting from each corbel: in the north aisle is a canopied monument of the Decorated period: in 1878 the church was restored at a cost of £1,940, and the spire at a further expense of £80: a new organ was provided in 1910 at a cost of £350: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538.
In the churchyard is a stone cross. erected in 1920, in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Archbishop Parker was rector here from 1545 to 1554. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1854, with 320 sittings.
The soil is mixed clav subsoil, gravel and clay. The land produces wheat, barley, beans, turnips and potatoes. The area is 2,225 acres; the population in 1921 was 455.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be transcribed ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com