Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
LINTON, a market town and parish, in the hundred of CHILFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 105 miles (S.E. by E.) from Cambridge, and 48 (N. by E.) from London, containing 1519 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the high road from Cambridge to Colchester, is very indifferently built; the streets are neither lighted nor paved, but the inhabitants are well supplied with water from springs. The market, granted in 1245, to William de Lay, is on Thursday ; and there is a fair on July 30th, for sheep. A court leet is held occasionally by the lord of the manor. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a fine embattled tower; in the interior are several monuments, especially one of marble, erected by Peter Standley, Esq., to the memory of his sister. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Independents. An Alien priory, subordinate to the abbey of St. Jacutus de Tusula in Britanny, was founded in the time of Henry III.; at the suppression, its revenue was valued at £23. 8. 10., and it was granted by Henry VI. to Pembroke Hall, Cambridge. At Barham, in this parish, a priory of Crouched friars, a cell to the monastery of Welnetham in Suffolk, was established in the reign of Edward I.: the hall, chapel, and cloisters of the convent are still remaining, and form part of the mansion called Barham hall. Several Roman coins have been dug up in this parish.
LINTON is a small union town, parish and head of a petty sessional division, pleasantly seated on the river Granta, on the confines of the county, bordering upon Essex, with a station on the Cambridge and Sudbury branch of the Great Eastern Railway, 11 miles south-east from Cambridge, 13 south-west from Newmarket, 6 north from Saffron Walden and 48 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Chilford, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, second division, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Mary is a building of flint and rubble, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: in the aisles are several monuments to the families of Pairs (1551 and 1650), Stanley (1726 and 1780), Millicent (1555 and 1577) and Flack (1693, 1704 and 1705) the chancel and Millicent chapel were restored in 1879 at the expense of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the lay impropriators, a new organ being at the same time erected by the parishioners: a restoration of the church begun in 1887, was completed in 1891, and the total cost, including the chancel, amounted to about £1,400: there are 530 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559.
Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1818 and seating 500 persons, with a graveyard attached; and there are also Salvation Army Barracks and a small Literary Institute.
The Beeches, the property and residence of Johann Gottlieb Brinkmann esq. is pleasantly situated and stands in its own grounds of about 7 acres. Harrison's charity of £2 8s. 9d. yearly is for bread. A fair for smallwares, formerly held on Holy Thursday and the sheep fair formerly held on the 20th July are now abolished, and the market once held here has also fallen into disuse. Barham Hall, in this parish, was anciently a priory of Crutched Friars, founded about 1292, as a cell to the convent of St. Jagu de Lisle in Brittany; it is now a farm house. The remains of a Roman villa were discovered in 1825 in a field separated by the river Granta from the site of Barham Priory, and in 1862, when excavating for the railway from Cambridge to Sudbury, the workmen met with the remains of numerous skeletons in this field at a depth of 3 feet from the surface.
The soil here is principally gravel and chalk; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 3,806 acres of land and 11 of water; rateable value, £5,557; the population in 1891 was 1,726, including 97 officers and inmates in the workhouse.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be transcribed ***
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com