Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Little Abington

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

ABINGTON (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of CHILFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2¾ miles (N.W. by N.) from Linton, containing 257 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at 7.6.5½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church Is dedicated to St. Mary.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Little Abington page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

LITTLE ABINGTON is a parish and village, on the north side of the river Granta and on the road from Cambridge to Linton and Haverhill, about 1¼ miles north-east from the Pampisford station on the Cambridge and Haverhill section of the London and North Eastern railway, 3 north-west from Linton and 8 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of flint and rubble, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell : the church was thoroughly restored in 1885, when a stained east window was presented by. the late Edmund John Mortlock esq. : there are 120 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1668.

The soil mixed; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,309 acres; population in 1921 was 194.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

In ABINGTON Picot holds under the King's hand; Sigar, a Freeman, holds ½ virgate from him. Value 12d. Aelmer held this land before 1066; he could grant and sell. Aubrey de Vere appropriated it in the King's despite; and Picot adjudged it against him. Of the stock which he took from it, Aubrey still keeps 400 sheep, less 20, and 1 plough, as the men of the Hundred testify.

The Count holds ABINGTON himself. 5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2½ hides; 3 ploughs there. 11 villagers and 5 smallholders with 5 ploughs. 4 slaves; 1 mill at 6s 8d; meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 20 pigs. In total, the value is and was 10. Edeva held this manor.

Aubrey holds ABINGTON himself, and Firmatus from him. It answers for 6 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; a third possible. 9 villagers with 5 small holders have 4 ploughs; a fifth possible. Meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 10 pigs; 1 mill at 9s; from the pasture 6 ploughshares. The value is and was 8; before 1066 6. The said Wulfwin, King Edward's thane, held this manor. A priest held 1 hide of this land from Edeva the Fair; he could not withdraw without her permission. Now Count Alan claims it back in despite of Aubrey's men, as the Hundred testifies.

In ABINGTON 1 Freeman has ½ hide from the King which is in the charge of Picot the Sheriff. Value 12d a year. Aelmer, a Freeman of King Edward's, held it; he could grant or sell to whom he would before 1066. Aubrey de Vere annexed this land from the King's jurisdiction, but Picot the Sheriff adjudged it against him and still keeps 1 plough and 380 sheep which Aubrey has from that land, as the men of the Hundred testify.

War Memorial

The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll-of-Honour Cambridgeshire page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com