Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
EVERSDEN (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 7¾ miles (S.E. by E.) from Caxton, containing 232 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £5. 2. 6., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Queen’s College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Helen.
LITTLE EVERSDEN is a parish, 2 miles southwest from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 7 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstow, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Helen, dating from 1294, is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles consisting of chancel, nave north porch and a low embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 4 bells: the building was partially restored in 1892, at a cost of £500, when a rood staircase was discovered; the church is now furnished with oak stalls designed by Mr. C. F Bodley R.A., F.S.A.: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Great Eversden, joint net yearly value £320, with glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor who has one turn and Queens' College, Cambridge who have two turns and held since 1925 by the Rev. Lewis Walker M.A. of that college. The advowson was given to Queens' College, Cambridge, in 1572 by John Chetham, of Great Livermore, in Suffolk, in consideration of which benefaction he and his heirs were to have the privilege of nominating to one of the smaller scholarships in that college. In 1775 Mr. Deer left the sum of £100 for the repair of the church, and in 1854 Miss Lydia Leete left £300 Consols, the interest to be spent in coals and clothing for the poor at Christmas there is also a charity for apprenticing poor children belonging to this parish.
The soil is chalky clay and gault; subsoil, gault and clunch The chief crops are fruit (greengages), wheat, oats and barley. The area is 790 acres; the population in 1921 was 156.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com