Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
GRANSDEN (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (S. W.) from Caxton, containing 261 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £18. 15. 2½. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. There is a small school supported by annual donations.
LITTLE GRANSDEN is a parish on the borders of Huntingdonahire, 3½ miles north-west from Gamblingay station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 8 south-west from St. Neots and 15 west-by-south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstowe, petty sessional division of Caxton, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of St. Neots, rural deanery of St. Neots, archdeaconry of Huntingdon and diocese of Ely.
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone of the latter part or the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays aisles and a lofty embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel was restored in 1858 and its east end rebuilt and a stained window inserted by the Rev. Alfred Newby, a former rector, in 1875 : the church was restored in 1885-8, at a cost of £700 and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1730.
The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The soil is light sand and heavy clay; subsoil, beds of stone and sand the area is 1,920 acres the population in 1921 was 227.
GREAT GRANSDEN which adjoins Little Gransden, is in Huntingdonshire.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com