Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
WILBRAHAM (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 7¼ miles (E.) from Cambridge, containing 274 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £19. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.
LITTLE WILBRAHAM is a village and parish, 1 mile south from the Cambridge and Newmarket road, 2½ north-east from Fulbourn station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 7 east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Staine, Bottisham petty sessional division, union of Chesterton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, principally in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, but with traces of much older work, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the doorways to the rood loft also remain: the piers and arches of the nave are good Perpendicular, and there is an octagonal font of the same date: the south porch has a curious inner doorway, enriched with tracery and shields of arms: the tower is Decorated and stands on open arches: in the chancel is a brass, with kneeling effigy to William Blakney M.A. ob. 1521 in the churchyard is the base of a cross, consisting of the steps and part of the shaft, and a tombstone to Elizabeth Hobbs, who died in 1803, and is stated to have attained the age of 104 years : the interior of the church was restored and variously refitted during the period 1875-89, at a cost of £800, this amount including three stained windows and a new organ: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538.
The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area, including fen lands, is 1,990 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1921 was 345.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com