Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
LOLWORTH, a parish in the hundred of NORTH-STOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Cambridge, containing 111 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £6. 2. 3½. Sir H. Hawley, Bart., and P. Orchard, Esq., were patrons in 1786. The church is dedicated to All Saints. An extensive destruction of houses and corn, by lightning, occurred here in 1393..
LOLWORTH is a parish on the road from Cambridge to Huntingdon, 4 miles south from Long Stanton station on the St. Ives and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway, 6½ north-west from Cambridge and 6 south-east from St. Ives, in the hundred of North Stowe, Cambridge petty sessional division, union of St. Ives, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of All Saints, situated on a height, dates from the early 14th century, and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and western tower; the east wall of the chancel, the south porch and the roof, which was restored in 1891, are modern : at one time the church possessed north and south aisles, long since destroyed by fire, when the greater part of the village was demolished, as witness the name of the field adjoining the churchyard, which is still called "Burnt Close": the arcades have been built up and windows of various dates inserted, which probably belonged to the aisles: among the interesting relics of the church are the remains of the rood screen with its rich flowing tracery, a good specimen of the late Decorative period, a beautiful octagonal font of the same period, and the base of an Early churchyard cross: there, are several monuments dating from the 14th to the 16th century; one, an incised alabaster slab, represents two ladies in a standing position, wearing butterfly head-dress, with two shields of arms of the Langley family conjoined and placed between their heads: in 1907 the tower was repaired, and the 3 bells (dated 1713) remaining of an original peal of 5, rehung at a cost of £600; the walls of the nave were closely examined, and beneath the modern plaster, were discovered the carved caps and bases of the arcades; each capital is of a different design, and on them can be clearly seen original 14th century stencillings of various patterns; on the western abutment of the north arcade is an ancient figure fresco, representing the incredulity of St. Thomas: in 1911 the font was repaired, and on its removal from the south wall the base of the church-yard cross was discovered : the north wall of the nave was repaired in 1920, at a cost of £160, as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; their names are inscribed on a carved oak tablet : during the repairs to the north wall a squint, which formerly gave a view of the altar from the north aisle, and a niche in the interior were revealed: in 1922 a stained east window was erected by J. Frohock esq. of his wife, Emily Helena Frohock; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1537.
The soil is heavy clay; subsoil gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,110 acres; the population in 1921 was 141.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com