Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
STANTON (LONG) ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of NORTHSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Cambridge, containing 370 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £3. 3. 4½, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, whose predecessors had a palace here, at which Queen Elizabeth was entertained on the day after her visit to the University of Cambridge, in August 1564. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
All Saints church is a building of pebble stone in the pure Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with lofty spire, containing 8 bells; the chancel retains a double piscina, triple graduated sedilia, an aumbry and an Early English niche, the remains of a former church which was burnt down in 1349: there is also a piscina in the north aisle, and a very fine octagonal font of the Decorated period, with traceried panels; the tower and spire are Early Perpendicular: the south transept, the burial place of the Hatton family, contains a large altar tomb of alabaster, with recumbent effigies to Sir Thomas Hatton bart. (a former lord of the manor), ob. 23 Sept. 1658, and Mary (Alington) his wife, besides other memorials to this family: the church, including the spire, was restored in 1886-8, at a cost of about £960, of which £300 was contributed by R. H Wood esq. F.S.A. of Rugby. and the chancel in 1891 by Mrs R. H. Wood, at a cost of £300: Mr. Wood, during 1886-8, repaired and decorated the tomb of Sir Thomas Hatton, at a cost of £120, and in 1908 he restored the south transept, or Hatton chapel; three windows which had been blocked up were filled with glass containing coats of arms of the Hatton family: the stained east window was erected in 1891 by Mrs. Wood, at a cost of £250: an organ was presented by Edward H. Liveing esq.: from 1873 to 1912 a total sum of £2,530 was expended on the church: there are 220 sittings. In the church yard is the base of a cross. The register dates from the year 1672.
[Extract from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Longstanton | Longstanton St Michael
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com